2018 DF 300 - nosecone / water pickup in water when fully trimmed up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 DF 300 - nosecone / water pickup in water when fully trimmed up

Background - recently repowered with a brand new 300. It replaced a 2007 300 which had been pretty much flawless for 1500 hours.

My boat lives in the water and the tip of the lower unit nosecone remains in the water at full up tilt. This wasn't an issue with the 2007 engine as there wasn't a water pickup on the nose cone - i was able to bottom paint the tip, all good.

Now with the new engine, the new water pickup on the point of the lower unit sits in the water. My concern is that growth will clog it and prevent clean water flow. I've had the motor raised and the trim governor (or whatever it is called) adjusted - tip still sits in the water.

Anything I can do? Are my concerns valid - that growth will cover the water pickup which will lead to bad things? I'm not entirely sure what will happen - maybe an overheat, maybe some of the growth gets sucked through the impeller? What happens if the tip becomes covered in growth?

Or just use it...? I can't be the only one with this issue. Its to the point that I have the boat temporarily stored on land and am thinking about selling it as my desire is to keep the vessel wet-slipped - look for a boat where I can fully trim the motors out of the water.

Is the new tip-water pickup critical? I'd imagine it is...

Any thoughts?
Working...
X