Buy Suzuki Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did I fry my voltage regulator/rectifier (or worse, my ECU)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did I fry my voltage regulator/rectifier (or worse, my ECU)?

2018 DF200A. I was out on the river today when I started getting random error codes, particularly when I gave it some throttle. My C10 showed voltage spikes of 9v - 16v and also behave strangely, acting haywire. Also, my fishfinder would shut off during turn key. I also noticed a little smoke coming from the cowling. Finally, the motor would shutoff without any beeps.

After cranking and shutting off trying to figure out the issue (obviously it had to be some voltage issue), I tightened down the battery connections (should've done this sooner). I started her up and everything seemed to be fixed. Voltage at idle was in the mid 13s, and during load was 14.5 with fluctuations of .1 or .2. My main concern was the smoke. The first suspect is the voltage regulator and rectifier. I did a cursory check taking off the cowling and it seemed okay. Obviously it was working on the water. Should I still switch out as a precaution? What else could cause a little bit of smoke?

My second concern is the ECU. Do these newer motors have protections built into the ECU? Obviously something happened as the motor shut itself down. I got her up to 3/4 throttle (boating conditions did not permit WOT so maybe everything is fine? I'm struggling to understand how it works. The alternator supplies current to the battery. Bad connections causes alternator to fluctuate in voltage, stressing the rectifier/regulator. How does the ECU factor into this?

Common sense says that if it runs fine, it's okay, but I know electrical gremlins can manifest themselves later. The VRR is easy enough to obtain, but the ECU is very expensive!
Working...
X