DF175 electrical problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF175 electrical problems

This is my first post here hoping you guys can help me out with some problems I'm having with the pair of 2014 DF175's i bough used. This is my first boat and the first time I've really worked on any outboards besides a few 2 strokes so i don't know almost anything about fly-by-wire controls. Unfortunately I didn't get to see the motors run before i bought them (I know that was stupid). The only outboard dealer in my area took a look at them and their solution seems to be to replace parts until it fixes the problems. None of which they have on hand and have to be special ordered so they are non returnable.

So basically all the problems seem to be related, and my suspicion is a bad component or connection forward of the engines. When the dealership hooks up their computer and syncs everything the engines start and run great and everything operates as it should, no errors or codes. Then once the computer is disconnected and the power switch is shut off, when everything is powered back up it throws up an intermittent "check control unit comm" error every couple seconds on the multi function display along with a little red flashing light on the control panel. When this happens the port motor starts and runs great but the starboard engine won't start.

Now the weird part is that if I turn the key into the "on" position before turning on the power switch, both engines start fine. No errors or codes show up and the little red light stays off. But if the power switch is on first, i get the intermittent error.

Initially I thought i could work with that until i could find a mechanic that could track down the culprit. However when i took it out for the first time it gave me a intermittent "check shift actuator" error every couple seconds just like the previous error, it wouldn't let me throttle up or shift back into neutral (kind of scary trying to land it at the dock). Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm at a loss, the dealer is at a loss, and i just want to get the boat in the water. Thanks!
Working...
X