07 DF 225 oil leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 07 DF 225 oil leak

I notice oil leaking down from around the base of the power head to the lower unit. Took it to the mechanic to be checked out. When I heard back I didn’t get a chance to speak directly to the mechanic (end of business day) but rather the office manager relaying the information. You’ll have to work with me because this part of the engine and problem is new to me so I may not give the correct name of the part but hopefully you get the idea. The general assessment is a bad seal in what I presume would be the lower crankshaft or upper drive shaft. I would agree that’s the issue and will go forward with the fix but I have a couple of questions. If that is the case could that cause a low oil pressure warning? The computer read out suggested I had several of these, however, my system monitor only indicated one at start up. The second question is could this leak allow water intrusion into the oil? Mechanic didn't see any of that but want to know for knowledge sake and my learning. Thanks for any insight.

Hi Keysspear1,

No an oil leak is not going to cause a low engine oil pressure alarm....unless you've lost a HEAP of oil where the pump runs short!

Can it cause water to enter the oil? Doubt it as there would be more pressure behind the oil seal than where the water is coming from....I think there is a seal prior to this that runs on the drive shaft to prevent water even getting to crank anyway?

Comment

Working...
    X