Buy Suzuki Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

-07 DF300, 7-5 alarm, motor starts, wont go into gear, no fuse blown -port side motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• -07 DF300, 7-5 alarm, motor starts, wont go into gear, no fuse blown -port side motor

Hi,

this is a tricky one i think. Suddenly getting the 7-5 alarm (was out yesterday and all was fine) on the portside motor.. The motor is a 2007 DF300 with sub 500h. However i encountered a problem with the alarm when trying to start today. It shows both Check enigne 7-5 and Check Control unit communication at the same time. Starboard motor is all good. Both motors fires up like nothing (except for that anoying piiiiiiiiiiip alarm sounding in sequence)

Startet out checking the white wire (but since bot trim/tilt and bot motors start, just to reassure the fuse wasnt blown), but thatone seemed all good. Then checking all fuses both at the Helm AND at the batteries AND inside both motors - all good (except for the fuse for bilge pump, but thats not really relevant).

Then startet to troubleshoot the connections at the helm - starting off with the "precision control". Since everything is digital/electric i assume just a modest decline in voltage or a faulty sensor coul trigger this. But this is just an assumption. So fro the troubleshooting....

Started out by changing port and starboard connectors behind the levers. - Then port side wouldnt fire up at all (maybe due to not beeing synced in the gauges as motor 2?!), but starboard fired up as normal. AND - this is where it gets tricky - the Alarm (flashing and displaying messages) had now changed from port to starboard gauge. to me this indicates there is at the levers/control something is wrong...

In addition; when unplugging and connecting the lever connectors again (port to port, starboard to starboard) i got the alarm and the display message to disapear, but as soon as i touched (or just nudged it to be precise) the whole alarm show was at it again. and when i say nudge, i mean it litteraly! Not setting it into gear or nothin... hardly touching the port side lever.

So this leads me to one of two possible reasons to what triggers the alarm;

EITHER

the battery voltage is too low (currently at 12.2 after a fair amount of troubleshooting, but was below 12.5 initially if im not mistanken), hence not sending rigth "response" back to the motor due to unsufficent voltage, hence triggering the alarm....

Or

hardware fault in the lever itself du to a faulty sensor or whatnot in the all-electrical precision control unit.

Since the display error swapped to other guage, i have ruled out the gear acctuator (also confirmed by both motors starting up as normal)

Any insights to share? I guess the "swap" of alarm from one gauge to another indiccates its something to do with the lever (guess no signal goes directly from lever to guage), and the motor then "responds" to the fault and then sounding the alarm..

Worth to mention; at my trip out yesterday i accidentally was anchoring up using the windlass WITHOUT motors running - so the lack of voltage could easily be attributet to that - since i was anchoring up less than 5 minutes from home port the batteries wasnt topped up with sufficient power on my way home.
    Last edited by Gnuffolini; 05-03-2020, 07:51 AM.
Working...
X