Buy Suzuki Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best way to protect the interior of the drive shaft housing against pitting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to protect the interior of the drive shaft housing against pitting?

Hellos beautiful Suzuki peeps,

I just finished dropping my oil pan. It decided to make one of those redirect water channels outside the water jacket of the oil pan.
    It was right behind the port connection for the engine flush. If you guys have an engine that heats up on idle and runs fine at
    WOT....then first thing to do is crack the nut that is on top of the engine right before the thermostat. IF you hear it gurgling at
    idle, but the water is not coming up and out through the hole....you most likely have a hole right behind the port water flush.
    By the water not reaching the top.....the top sensor right next to the plug triggers the overheat alarm.
    Remove the bolts behind the port flush plate and you'll probably find what I found in mine. If you're going to do this test
    please only use fresh water. Don't take it down to the marina and give you engine a salt water bath by revving up.

Back to the issue. I have surface pitting inside the shaft below it. Nothing serious. Just a lot of surface stuff. What do you guys
    recommend to brush on? I found Belzonia, but that stuff is super expensive. I was thinking of using thermal steel high temp metal
    repair. the wording says it can be used in marine applications and cast aluminum. Anyone use something else that they like the
    finished product or protection?
    J

Here are couple of pics. In case you're interested....that's my temperature gauge hack on the right. Remove the nut. Get a plug
    that is aluminum and then drill and tap a sensor into it. Works great. I know the sensor is brass, but the plug is the sacrificial part.
    It's aluminum on aluminum, so I can remove it from the block easily and put another one That is... if the plug and the sensor are fused
    due to electrolyzes.

PXL_20220424_135150145_0709.jpgPXL_20220417_143429609_0046.jpgPXL_20220424_135731180_4443.jpg .
    Attached Files
Working...
X