Buy Suzuki Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Explain how the auxiliary charging lead / isolator works - does it split output?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Explain how the auxiliary charging lead / isolator works - does it split output?

On a 2007 DF300, with the auxiliary charging / isolator lead hooked up and fuse switched to the 'option' spot, how does the output work?
    Does the starting battery get 50% of the alternator, and the aux battery gets the other 50% of the alternator?

Or does the engine sense which side needs the most output, and automatically send more of the output to the side with need?

Also, I saw in the manual that you shouldn't connect the output to anything with more than 30A load, or 60A with dual batteries in parallel.

My boat has the following:

Twin DF300, each with their own starting battery (group 31)

House Bank consists of 2ea. 100AH batteries.

I am trying to decide if I connect the aux cables, will I get 100% of the alternator output once the start batteries are topped off - or will I never be able to achieve more than 50% of the alternator output?
    If I can't get all of the alternator output, I'd be better off with a set of combiners or DVSRs so that the main charging leads will go through the start battery and into the house.

I thought I read somewhere that the aux charging system is 'smart' enough to know that when the start batteries are charged, it should send all of its output to the aux lead. I can't seem to find this in writiing, now, and I can't check on the boat anytime soon.

Thanks in advance.

Working...
X