X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• loss of oil / engine rebuilt 2006 DF175

I started the thread below in Sept 2013

http://www.suzukioutboardforum.com/s...-loss-oil.html

I purchased a boat in the fall 2007 with the 2006 DF175. Hour meter indicated 25 hours. (now has over 600)
    I noticed it seemed to be going through oil with less than 100 hours, figured it just needed to be broken in.. just didn’t realize how much oil was being used until 2013. I started taking 10 hour ocean tuna trips and was going through nearly a quart of oil. no visible signs of leakage.. no smoke. no oil slicks.. the mechanic at the time ran cleaner through the engine.. ran treatments that were supposed to clean and free up rings.. all to no avail.. low cylinder pressure and bad leak down tests..
    Realized in this process there was a high degree of probability that the engine was not broke in correctly to start with.
    Still somewhat in denial, came to the conclusion the engine needed to be taken apart and find the real problem.
    Finally found a real engine mechanic several months ago, father and son team that have worked on outboards for over 30 years and knows Suzuki’s inside and out..
    So a month ago took my boat to them and said fix it….. they removed power head and completely disassembled it.
    Results-- #3 and #4 pistons were major culprit rings not seated correctly were causing most of the problem, #3 cylinder wall and a couple of bad wear marks..
    bad valves.. at least ½ of them were bad in one way or another..
    so the block was sent out and repaired, the head was sent to a machine shop and upon inspection all valves were replaced ..
    Saturday.. with the work done.. set out to break-in my newly rebuilt engine, the right way.. following the manual to the “T”
    The break-in is a slow process.. and did manage to get past what appears to be the most critical phase –the first 3 hours.
    I cannot express how pleased I am with the outcome.. this engine has never run as good as it is running now..
    Four hours down and 6 more to go and best of all, I can do this while I am on fishing trips..
    trust this will be the last post on this subject.....
    Art
    Last edited by artdf175; 05-11-2015, 11:26 AM. Reason: not complete

updated thread this morning.. computer was working with me earlier.
    Art..

Comment

Great news, Art......happy for ya!
      Mike
      μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Good to hear, Art!

Makes you wonder just what the previous owner did to it during the original running-in period. Guess you will never know for sure. Other than whatever it was, was not good!

A friend of mine who is a professional engine builder has always said to me that running under too much load is the killer when new engines are being run in. That, and long periods of idling or low revs (eg trolling).

Now, it's time for you to get down to some serious fishing!

Grant

Comment

mechanic indicated the biggest problem is people, not knowing or no one thinks to tell them about the need for a break in period..
          They take the boats out and run them hard from the start and nothing ever gets seated correctly.. and in this case I am paying for it..

years ago, some people are too young to remember this, you had to break in car engines.. So they don't know that in today's world. There is still a need to do this process correctly for our engines.

Comment

Well i'm glad that you're back in the water. Its going to take many a fishing trips to make up the costs of the repairs. So better get started asap, and hook em up! Don't forget the pics too!

Happy boating Art. Will send your diploma for all your knowledge later. Haha courtesy of the moderator. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Solarman View Post
              Well i'm glad that you're back in the water. Its going to take many a fishing trips to make up the costs of the repairs. So better get started asap, and hook em up! Don't forget the pics too!

Happy boating Art. Will send your diploma for all your knowledge later. Haha courtesy of the moderator. Lol
              Thanks... will do should be starting back at serious fishing this Friday.. has been too long.. some of you know I have spent the last 5 months nursing a broken wrist..
              pictures to follow..
              Art
              ps.. thanks for "diploma" the learning curve moved up a level or two on this one.. you have to buy your way in, once in a while..

Comment

True Art. Think you've paid your fair share. Will ask moderator to send one to you. Like that'll happen real soon... Don't hold your breath. Better just go fishing.

Happy boating.

Comment

Working...
                X