Suzuki skeg and prop protection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suzuki skeg and prop protection

I know an outboard's skeg is designed to protect the prop and to serve as a rudder but with the larger diameter props on the newer Suzukis, the prop extends a little below the skeg, so the skeg may be serving as a rudder but it doesn't fully protect the prop... Is there a skeg protector sold that would extend the length of the skeg abiout an inch and still fit properly? If I hit something (again) I'd much rather the skeg hit first and avoid damage to the prop or lower unit.
    Life is short... Ride a Harley, Fish a Sea Pro

https://www.westmarine.com/propeller-skeg-guards

Comment

Thanks but I need one that extends the length of the skeg about an inch so as to protect the prop for a 2017 DF150.

Comment

The 16" diameter prop on my '07 DF150 was never below the skeg. I'd be interested in seeing yours. I have a Megaware SkegGuard on mine now, as shown in the link that Murray offered you. That makes the skeg at least 2" below the 16" prop.
        Mike
        μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Originally posted by Harper View Post
          The 16" diameter prop on my '07 DF150 was never below the skeg. I'd be interested in seeing yours. I have a Megaware SkegGuard on mine now, as shown in the link that Murray offered you. That makes the skeg at least 2" below the 16" prop.
          The last two skeg guards I bought and installed were on a Yamaha F150 and a Merc Optimax and both of thiose were a tight fit and "MAYBE" extended the length of the skegs a half inch. I looked at the Megaware guards and didn't see one to fit a 2017 DF150. Maybe I'm missing it.
          I'm guessing my prop extends maybe 1/2 to 3/4" below the skeg but it definitely is below the skeg. The proof is I put 1/2" dents in the tips of all three blades on a boat ramp yesterday and never touched the skeg. I need a skeg guard that extends the total length about an inch but if they don't make one to fit a SUzuki DF150, then I'll try a Megaware Guard and hope it makes the skeg a little longer; Anyone know the model #?
          My prop is a Suzuki 3x16x18 5R

enhance.jpg
          enhance.jpg
          Attached Files

Comment

In spite of west Marine's website info, the 27151 fits the DF150 (their prices are also high as usual).
            https://www.boatid.com/megaware/skeg...mpn-27151.html

Also, if you're wanting to get the tips your blades fixed and fixed right, this place is very reasonable and does very good work.
            Propeller Repair and New Propeller Sales from PropMD.com
            Last edited by Harper; 08-15-2018, 07:22 PM.
            Mike
            μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Thank you... That site states the 27151 fits a suzuki 150 HP 4 Stroke Engine 2003-2016. so before ordering I talked to them via chat and they said the 27151 does not fit the 2017 DF150. I suspect the person I spoke to may not know for sure but still looking for one that will fit.
              Thanks for the prop shop info too but the tips weren't badly bent and I was able to pound out the dents and file off the rough edges so it should be fine this time.
              Last edited by rick341; 08-15-2018, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Rick, I thought I'd take this picture to show you what you're getting. The skeg is sitting on the concrete, the bubble is centered on the level that sits atop the anti-ventilation plate. Looks like the prop has about 1¼" clearance.... a bit less than what I eyeballed earlier. But it should fit the bill.

059.jpg
                Attached Files
                Mike
                μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Thanks for the picture Mike. That's exactly what I want and I think would give me the clearance I need. I'm going to call them again tomorrow to be sure the 27151 Guard will or will not fit a 2017 DF150. I'm hoping the person I talked to the first time was an after hours answering service who didn't know what they were talking about.

EDIT: I appreciate all the help. After a ton of research, calling both Megaware, and BoatID.com ... I'm told that the 2017 SUxuki DF150's skeg is different than those of earlier years.. Megaware does not currently make a skeg guard to fit the 2017 model year...but will be working on producing the new models this winter so they should be aailable next season. BoatID.com searched and found a skeg guard that does claim to fit... It's from SS Marine and is part # SS00508.. It costs $99. plus shipping and does not have the foot on the bottom of the skeg guard as the Megaware skegguard does, so it isn't what I need to extend the length of the skeg. I give up.. I can't find a good one I called the Suzuki dealer and was told that the skegs haven'[t changed in years....and that a skeg guard doesn't and won't protect the prop any way.. At this point I'm now even more confused. I still want one so if anyone happens to find a model that fits a 2017 Suzuki...PLEASE let me know.
                  \
                  Last edited by rick341; 08-16-2018, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X