Quest for 40 knots...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quest for 40 knots...

recently acquired a Campion 492 with a 2009 DF90A. After some trouble shooting, have it running like a champ. The white wire syndrome was plaguing me... found that on my own and fixed. Also had issue with the vst. Cleaned and running great. Issue having now is that only turning 5500 rpm's. I think she has some more in her. Seeing 34 knots. Prop is a 14x22 Stainless. Thinking of going to an 18. This should get rpm's back in line. Thoughts?

http://www.suzukioutboardforum.com/f...the-right-prop

Did you read the sticky (link above)?

Comment

For that engine, same as mine, Suzuki’s owner manual states that 5500-6300 RPM’s is the range you are looking for at WOT.

Comment

I think an 18” might be too low. Depends on make/model of prop of course.

I would be tempted to try a OEM Suzuki 14 x 20 stainless, and check the engine height to see if it might go up one hole.

40 knots might be pushing your luck regardless.

Comment

I was "in the same boat" 2-3 years ago with my 2014 motor (25 HP). Main things I learned was

(1) play with engine height ( as Moonlighter says above) before you spend $$ on prop(s). Engine height had more effect for me on speed than different props.
          (2) don't assume that your engine is going to run up the rev limit (whatever it is) and just run smoothly there. When my engine hits the rev limit, the way the engine enforces the rev limit is my cutting spark to one of the three cylinders. So it doesn't just slow it down - the engine runs like poo until the RPMs drop below the rev limit. Bottom line: you don't want to tune your setup to run AT the rev limit; you really want to max out just below the rev limit.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4ay_op8Lh4

61 kph with a 80 Mercury (over Propped also)

I think a 14x20" Zuke SS would help matters muchly, but 40 knots might be a reach.

Comment

Working...
            X