Buy Suzuki Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Impeller housing, paper gasket or no paper gasket???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impeller housing, paper gasket or no paper gasket???

I didn't get a reply to my question urgently so I am posting here it as a new thread...When my new impeller kit arrived for my DF50 the kit came with a brown paper gasket...I fitted the gasket between the gearbox and the impeller housing, before bolting it down. After refitting the gearbox and running the engine I noticed it is hardly pumping any water...Could the gasket be the culprit? Is fitting the gasket essential? I don't remember it having one when I removed the housing to take the old impeller out so should I just remove it?

I just did my 2009 DF90 and I had no paper gasket. The under plate where the impeller sits on top had a gasket molded on to it. I find it strange that Suzuki would use paper in a water pump application. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Comment

Problem persists...

Hi Murrey...Thanks for replying. OK I took the gearbox off, removed the pump housing, removed the paper gasket, greased the impeller and housing (as recommended by Suzuki), put it all back together and ran the engine...Exactly the same as before!
      Question: When the engine is running should water be jetting fast out of the two openings at the front of the leg where the gearbox meets the leg? I also get water coming out of the where the gear rod exits the gearbox, yet virtually none from the tell tale...Is this normal or is it as I suspect a clear sign the output rubber grommet/gasket on top of the pump is not sealing properly on the vertical metal pipe in the bottom of the leg that goes up the engine??? If so how can I cure this? Extend the pipe somehow? Fit a new rubber grommet/gasket to the top of the pump housing???
      Thanks
      Alf.
      Last edited by jeepster; 05-23-2017, 02:58 PM.

Comment

I'm no expert, I have only done one impeller.
        In my case I did not have water jetting out of the two holes, I had water draining out of the two holes, zero water pressure. I didn't notice any water coming out of the gear rod but I wasn't looking. If water was coming to out it wasn't under any pressure. My tell tale was pumping a strong stream of water.
        It sounds like your impeller is working but the water isn't getting into the engine/tell tale. You mention the grommet, my water pump slide in no problems. You must have a blockage somewhere. Did you run a wire up thru the tell tale, make sure it's not blocked? I had water coming out the exhaust port at the propeller. Do you? Can you look up into the water pick up tube for blockage?
        Let's hope some of the true experts chime in, like I said previously, I'm no expert. Good luck

I see your from the UK. Salt water corrosion, blocking the water passages?
        Last edited by Murray; 05-23-2017, 09:15 PM. Reason: Another question

Comment

Working...
        X