Clogged gas tank pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clogged gas tank pickup

I have a 2005 Sea Fox 230 walk-around with 140 Suzuki 4-stroke. At the beginning of last summer the engine wouldn't run except at idle. I took it to the dealer and ended up getting new injectors and the VSP tank cleaned. Tried to run it and same problem. Dealer said it ran good there, on their gas. They cleaned the filter in the VSP tank, then started looking at my gas.
    You see, for 5 years I never let the tank go below 3/4 tank, kept topping it off and adding Star-Tron. The gas that came out was the color of Guinness beer. Yuck! 110 gallons of bad gas........
    Never able to use 100 gallons in a season, I decided to buy and use a pair of 12 gallon portable tanks. Had no more problems except without the weight low in the hull the boat is less stable.
    This summer I decided to try the on-board tank. Put in 20 gallons, with Star-tron, and took it out. It died just after leaving the dock. After getting it home, I put an electric fuel pump on the pickup hose and no gas would pump out. Tried blowing compressed air (about 50 PSI) and can't blow air into the tank.
    I found where the pickup is on the tank, can you say practically inaccessable?

Is there anything I can put in the tank that will get down there and dissolve whatever is clogging? My thought is there was still gas down there that turned to varnish (like a found in an old VW carb I rebuilt). I know if I can pull the pickup I can soak it in carburetor dip and clean it. But I'm afraid I'll have to cut the boat to get to the pickup. Money's real tight, I have to do this myself.

I think ur anti siphon got corroDed,find the access ,if there is no access,
    Trace the main fuel line and have 8 inch deck plate on the top of
    Anti shiphon valve, once u get to the anti siphon valve , you can take the whole pickup tube out to pump the old fuel out.
    Last edited by Talklessridemore; 07-19-2011, 12:19 AM.

Comment

GOOD NEWS!!!!! It looks like the Seafoam did the trick. Went to try to blow some air into the tank, didn't seem to work, so I tried the electric fuel pump again...........and got gas!!!!

Pumped about a gallon out of the tank into a gas can. So I've pumped all the gas from the portable tanks into the on-board tank.

Triple-digit temps today with high humidity, too hot to take the boat out. I'm gonna try it out after work one day this week.

Comment

Working...
      X