Trailer with motor up or down ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trailer with motor up or down ???

I am getting varying opinions about this: I just read that I should trailer my boat with my Suzuki DF-70 four stroke in the down position. This keeps the oil from draining out of the block.

I have always trailered with the motor up and the "Travel" latch engaged. Is this wrong. What is recommended..... AND what are others doing regardless of what is recommended ??

Thanks in advance for your replies................

Look into a product called MyWedge, I would not recommend trailering with latch engaged, this put undo stress on your transom and motor. The myedge (?) puts a rubber stopper over your tilt/trim rams and acts like a shock, just my .02.

Comment

Fifty five people have stopped by long enough to read my posted question and only one has replied.............. SAD !!!!

Comment

I use to use a "transom saver" and traveled with the lower unit in the UP position, but I bent 2 transom savers from the boat bouncing on the trailer.
        I rather trailer with the lower unit in the UP position so that I don't damage the prop.
        I've seen people use pieces of wood to prop the lower unit UP while trailering.
        DoubleG
        Wildwood NJ

Comment

yes this is wrong. and it's not called a" travel latch ". it's a tilt up lock arm .mainly used when boat is stored in water .what is recommended is is the down position unless you need more ground clearance ,if so use a transom saver.what are others doing.some use a 4x4 across the transom bracket right below the trim rods ,with a rope atached in case it falls off.

Comment

The manual on my DF140 says to NOT rely on the tilt lock when trailering. The tilt lock is so flimsy I am not tempted. I would not trailer with the motor down because it would be easy to ruin your lower unit by hitting the road on dips or bumps. I made a wooden brace that goes between a bar on the transom mount and the lower unit. To travel I just insert the brace and trim down enough to tighten it in place. You can likely design something that will work for your motor.

Comment

tilt lock must not be used for travelling , it s to weak and not designed for it, my rib sits on a four wheel trailer and i always travel with t motor 2/3 s in the down position, this keeps the weight down on the transom rather than have the pendulum effect by having it up.

Comment

Working...
              X