suzuki 300 bogs down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• suzuki 300 bogs down

Sometimes when I first start my 300 (2007 4 stroke counter rotating) it won't pull full rpm, but instead revs to about 3600 rpm and hangs there for a bit - maybe 30 seconds or so- then revs up fully and smoothly. I always thought it was some built in deal to keep you from running it too hard while it was cold? But yesterday when coming back in from tuna fishing, we stopped and trolled for salmon for an hour or so using the kicker. When I fired up the big engine, the rpm wouldn't go above 3600 for several minutes then suddenly no problem and off we go. After a few minutes of running at speed it dropped off to 3600-3700 rpm again and stayed there.

Disconcerting, since I was out 40 miles an hour earlier!

Any ideas what I can check - engine has about 175 hours on it.

Are there on board diagnostics with this engine?

Did u hear any alarm sound ?or any code ?
    If you didn,t hear any alarm or code, it could be fuel issues

This is not the same case, but i had a custmer who had suzuki 250
    He said he used to get 5,800 rpm at wot. But he only got 4,900 rpm
    At wot. So we took his vst off and opened it up. There was a high pressure
    Filter under the fuel pump. It was almost clogged up with dirts.

Comment

300 bogging down

Thanks Talksless - I had it up to the service department yesterday, but they were too backlogged to do anything for a couple weeks. The service guy also suggested that I take a look at the VST, so that is what I will do tonight. He was pretty positive that was the deal. No codes, no alarms.

Comment

Vst for 300 is pretty easy to access. Good luck
        Let us know how it goes !!

Comment

Suzuki 300

Pulled the VST and cleaned it out. No dirt in it, and the high pressure pump filter looked good. At least if there was water in there it is gone now too. Nice to have it out and see that there is a drain fitting and hose already attached waiting for next time I want to drain it. Replaced fuel water separator at the same time. Also threw in a new set of plugs just for fun. Took it out this morning and it is running great! Hope it stays that way.

Thanks for the ideas!

Comment

Good job !
            You just saved some money and time,
            Glad that you fixed it,
            I work at suzuki dealer, we have been fully booked since march.

Comment

Suffering the same problems . What is the VST and is the high pressure fuel filter easily accesible ?

Comment

Vst

The VST is located on the port side of the engine, near the front. It is fairly accessable. There is a valve located on the bottom of the VST that you can open with a screw driver and drain out any water or crud that has accumulated. Look for a clear vinyl tube (maybe 1/4" tubing?) that comes out near the pivot tube in teh front of the engine. Follow that back and it goes to the VST. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                X