1985 DT40 Wont stay running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1985 DT40 Wont stay running

My DT40 will not stay running. Today I have torn the carb completly apart and cleaned it. new water/fuel filter, new plugs, cleaned the screen in the inline small fuel filter, i took it out and it ran good for about 30 minutes. as soon as i throttled back it bogged down and died than would not stay running again. it seems like its flooded.

Could i have water in fuel? the tank has been full since last year with stabilizer in it?

I ordered new carb rebuild kit and float today

Any other ideas?

Thanks

i will not use any fuel thats over 3 weeks old in anything carbureted, stabilizer or not. the newer fuel isnt what it used to be, especially regular!
    i could go on all day about fuel but im not going to bore you. my strong suggestion would be to drain all the old gas out and replace it with fresh fuel. also drain the carbs again as well as the fuel filter. start off with the fresh fuel and see how it runs from there.

Comment

Originally posted by jabberjaw View Post
      i will not use any fuel thats over 3 weeks old in anything carbureted, stabilizer or not. the newer fuel isnt what it used to be, especially regular!
      i could go on all day about fuel but im not going to bore you. my strong suggestion would be to drain all the old gas out and replace it with fresh fuel. also drain the carbs again as well as the fuel filter. start off with the fresh fuel and see how it runs from there.
      I was thinkin same thing. I hate to waste 15 gallons of fuel at todays prices but maybe the lawn mower will run on it.

Thanks alot i will give it a try

Comment

You may want to install a fuel water seprerator just in case. Thought I had poor fuel as well and it turned out to be water in the gas.Ran well after I removed the H2O.

Comment

Danno
          I installed a brand new canister style fuel filter / water seperator today along with everything else. Maybe some fresh gas and cleaning the filters again will do it.

Thanks

Comment

Prime

I have a 1982 DT40 and I had to get a new fuel line because mine would lose prime. I'd have to pump the fuel after running for Awhile.

Comment

Thanks Salmontalker

I will look at that also but i think they are ok as the ball stays tight it does not seem to lose prime.

Comment

Fresh Gas was the answer thanks for the advice.
                i pumped out all the old and replaced with marine fuel. Boat ran great all afternoon.

Comment

Working...
                X