Suzuki 140 losing power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suzuki 140 losing power

I have a 2000 or so, 140 HP 4-stroke. The past year after running around, stopping frequently for fishing, I will be going 4500-5400 RPM and it will lose power down to idle for 5-10 seconds, and so I pull the throttle back to neutral, and then it will run fine for another 10-20 minutes, and then the motor does it again. One time it stopped running, and the bulb was empty, and after filling the bulb it started up. There was some gas in the bulb the last time it lost power without the motor turning off.

This only starts happening after I have out fishing for several hours. The dealership put in a water separator, and when that did not work, put in a fuel pump, and changed out the hoses last year. It ran fine for a few months, but has started to lose power again.
    Thanks for any help,
    Don

check your fuel tank breather is not blocked

Comment

Suzuki 140 losing power

Mitch,
      I will check it the fuel tank breather.
      Thanks for your help,
      Don

Comment

Does it always do it at the same RPM? Mine is acting like that, almost like hitting a rev limiter but with no light or alarm, it would drop to <3000 and then run fine, as long as I didn't get in the upper part of the RPM range.

Comment

I am suffering the same issues as you are describing . Did you manage to fix your problem ?

Comment

Suzuki 140 losing power

It has not done it again on the last 3 weekends using the boat, although it usually takes 5-6 hours of boating in a day to occur, which I have not done since the problem. I have noticed that the gas bulb gets pretty empty of fuel, and not sure if this normal. I will have the local dealership look at it again and will post back.
            Don

Comment

if the primer bulb goes flat, then you have a blockage/restriction between the bulb and the pickup/air vent on the fuel tank, should be fairly easy to troubleshoot.

Comment

I am having that same issue with my 2006 200. Worked great for hours and coming back in from 4 hours of fishing and motoring around it would stall out and the fuel ball would lose pressure. I have had the fuel system checked and it passed. I replaced the fuel ball and water seperator and still having the same issues. Please post if you find a solution. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                X