Jetstar with Suzuki inboard redlines at start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jetstar with Suzuki inboard redlines at start

My 1991 Jetstar by Ultranautics revs past 5000 rpms immediately when it starts until I shut off the engine. The engine is a 60 hp Suzuki inboard with a jet outdrive. I have not had the boat in the water yet. I have only tried to test it out of water using the garden hose attachment.

Would this be caused by lack of back pressure when out of water?

Any ideas on what else to look for. I am a little nervous tasting this boat in water until I understand this better

nope not back pressure.............. throttle is open for some reason

Comment

there is a few things you need to check first, like, is the throttle jammed open? is the contol cable jammed? do you have a manual for your motor? if all this checks out, you may have an air leak, but we need that info before you start doing anything.

Comment

Jetstar with Suzuki inboard redlines at start

there is a few things you need to check first, like, is the throttle jammed open? is the contol cable jammed? do you have a manual for your motor? if all this checks out, you may have an air leak, but we need that info before you start doing anything.

thank you for the reponse.
        I put the boat in the water and started it. The motor started immediately however would idle at 2200 rpm. At least it did not redline. Perhaps the back pressure in the water helped. The throttle and control cable do not appear to be jammed. I have ordered a shop manual for the boat and will try looking for air leaks.
        Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
        X