X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spurious overheat alarm? 50hp 1999 4 stroke

Hi fellow suzuki people.

I have been having a alarm issue.

I have a Evinrude 50hp which i understand is a Suzuki rebranded. Model E50PL4EES.

I can motor at say 4000rpm for half an hour, idle for the next half an hour then when i go to steam home i get a HOT alarm. Aural, light on dash and SLOW mode thanks to the computer.

The alarm seems to occur at higher revs but is intermittent. Its is very frustrating as you can understand and i have reservations about taking the boat out now.

To my knowledge the motor doesnt appear to overheat, i have been able to put my hand on both the cylinder side and the exhaust side without too much of an issue.

Work done includes Both sensors replaced (CHT and Exhaust Manifold), Complete waterpump, baseplate and housing.

Love to hear any suggestions. I am already $800 OUT OF pocket and i am no closer to solving the issue, ie i am back to where i started after that spend.

Anyone had similar?

I am kinda thinking it is that grommet problem that i have read about here up under the power head.

Cheers i advance for any help or suggestions offered.

Check your thermostats, if they don't open all the way can cause an alarm.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Suzuki Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks for that, sorry my mistake should have said that the first thing i did was to replace the thermostat.

Comment

Problem solved

Have solved my problem

Hi guys, as far as i am concerned this sensor if a design fault of its era.
        The new suzuki's dont have the exhaust manifold sensor.

I chased this problem myself till the cows came home spending close to $1000

I left the old sensor in the block but connected a new sensor to the wires from the computer (ecu) and just tucked it away.

I did this after computer diagnostics assured me that is was the gradient alarm that was going off. (had clocked up 38 gradient alarms)

Then i attached a multimeter to the sensor that was still in the block.

I monitor that sensor that way but will soon remove the monitoring once satisfied with the set up.

If the motor does get hot the CHT (cylinder head temp sensor) will go off anyways. So in short disconnect and connect to another one and tuck it up somewhere.

Comment

Great job nailing this one down and posting your finds and solutions!!!! The fact that you were able to educate yourself and pursue the necessary remedies puts you above 75% of the techs and shops listed as Suzuki "Authorized Service Centers".
          I am getting an education myself as there are many Suzuki dealers to buy motors or repower but only a handful of actual service centers. I guess that is a good thing as long as you aren’t one of the handfuls like us who have unique issues and problems…….
          Congrats on your find and fix……. Now go open a repair facility near me so I can take my boat to you!

Comment

Working...
          X