water in oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• water in oil

I have a 2005 225 four stroke that has been a mule. Went fishing the past Saturday, and ran fine all the way out. Slowed down at the first spot, and motor started running rough, then shut off. Cranked it again and she caught, so headed back in. Ran rough till 3000 rpms then ran ok after that but would surge. Got back to camp, pulled plugs and looks as though 4 of them had water on the plug? Also checked oil and it is milky. Is this the sign of a blown head gasket? If so, can this be repaired at home or has to go to shop. Thanks all in advance, never had a problem like this one before.

It seems from what you describe that you have breached the head gasket. Other indicators are white smoke from the exhaust if you cool the engine with ear muffs. A compression test could also confirm this as well.

The clock is ticking and you need to get that milky oil out of your engine with a couple of cheap oil changes. Oil and water don't mix but can temporarily emulsify but later will separate into oil and water. This could lead to corrosion in the cylinder, rings etc. Could lead to engine seizure. So make haste oil is cheaper than an engine.

You should also fog the engine through the spark plug holes with SeaFoam Deep Creep(TM) it binds and attracts moisture. Spray and crank the engine without plugs to blow the Seafoam and water mix out to dry out the cylinder.

If you have to ask if this is something that you can do at home, then maybe you shouldn't. This requires a precise service procedure with special tools that most shadetree mechanics may not have. I don't know your background and it is doable but if you mess up the timing by one tooth or don't have the heads inspected for flatness by a machine shop....there are a whole host of gotchas, if you get what I mean. Get some bids from reputable shops and it won't be real cheap and if you are still interested in DIY buy the factory manual first, read it and then see if it is something you want to tackle.

Good luck

Comment

Sorry to hear that.. Sk
      Ive been working at suzuki marine dealer as mechanic. ( used to be honda guy) since this april. So far, i have had 4 suzuki v 6 blown power heads on my
      Bench. They all had same problem, just like yours. Main reason
      Was blown head gasket. And salt water got into intake,throttle body

Comment

This reply may be too late for you but it will be new info for somebody else .. it has to do with how many hours you have on the engine. in my case after 650hrs on engine when we took the cylinder head the water passages look like they were hit by shotgun full of dent and corrosion. the head gasket was fine . engine holder which is a source of leak was broken in process of getting to cylinder block ($1000). it dawn on to me that cylinder block has boiling saltwater in it at approximately 180f degree and salt water is like acid .
        on a df 140 they wanted 6k after tax to put a new engine and 11.5k after tax for new motor. new motor has 3 to 6 years warranty depending on promotion and rebuilt motor has 30 days warranty on labor and 1 year on parts. we spent 3k to put the motor back together and failed because we did not replace everything,.. I may take the thermostat out on a new motor to see if motor can operate in our warm climate because I don't like heated saltwater touching my engine but again 650hrs will take most people a lifetime to achieve . the old engine will be sold for $700 to wholesaler.

Comment

Working...
        X