1997 DT 225 over heating...help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1997 DT 225 over heating...help?

Hello and thanks,,hope I can get some help. i have a 1997 DT225 (2 stroke). I had the lower unit completely rebuilt with new impeller. I also replaced my thermostats. One was broken in the full open position. this did not fix my issue. What is happening is I can run the boat for an hour or so, sit for an hour. When I go to start it up and get on plane, after about 5 minutes it will give me the over heat warning. I goto idle, turn off the motor, restart and 90% of the time it is ok until I sit for some time again and then same issue. I do have a good stream of water peeing the whole time. i bought an info red (sp) thermometer, I noticed the port side running at about 200, the starboard side running 160-170. I had the muffs on today, and pulled the water house off each side one at a time. I noticed the water flow seemed to be ok and equal on both sides. And today I THINK that the starboard side was the hotter side,,,I did not let them get hot to where the alarm went off. i did use salt x 3 times today to run through the engine....any ideas what is going on? btw this year does not have the water pressure switch...
    Last edited by flyer469; 08-27-2011, 10:40 PM. Reason: update

****update*****

I think I have it figured out! Took off thermostat covers,,ran Rid Salt stuff through the engine through both thermostat openings. Did it for about 45 minutes! Engine, on the inside looks sooooo much better! Ran both with cover off, friend driving. Shot my infrared thermometer on all cylinders top were the hottest, around 145 degrees. Around the sensors it was 220ish. Temps never got hotter. Anchored boat for about 20 minutes. Restarted the engine, it was near 160 for a minute or two,,then back to 145ish... Got the alarm while I was checking temps, nothing ever got hotter than the normal numbers! Turned boat off for about 30 seconds, started back up no alarm. Engine is at its hottest when you turn it off and let it sit for a second and restart. I would think that if it was truly running hot that once I shut it down and turn the key on, that I would get the alarm if it was really over heating??? So I think I just get an intermit over heat from a fault sensor? So I consider the problem not a problem at all! BTW, after running the rid salt stuff,,I noticed the volume of my pee stream was much greater than ever...That stuff really works!

Comment

I am unfamiliar with the salt stuff that you use. The DT series has an issue with false overheat alarms. My 2003 225 alarm goes off fairly frequently. I immediately shut the engine off then start it up right away and it is good for minutes to days...there is a resistor fix for it, just haven't got it yet

Comment

FYI on the overheating problem:
        i had that also on all 3 dt225's.I had it occur only in the warm waters in the summertime..the overheat alarm would not come on in the cooler winter water only in the warm summertime waters,usually about a minute or so after getting on plane. The fix is a factory fix from your dealer (free).It is a resistor plug in, that plugs into the temp sensor wires .This is located in the black plastic box at the left rear of the flywheel area.Simply unplug the matching purple/white wires and plug the resistor wires( male end/female end) inline into the existing purple/white wires.I had to do that to all my dt225's.After installing the resistor the problem goes away.The alarm may come on the first time you use the engine then it will not do this again.

I found this from this page on another forum, thought it would help.

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating...dt225-efi.html

Comment

Originally posted by greenberg.jared View Post
          FYI on the overheating problem:
          i had that also on all 3 dt225's.I had it occur only in the warm waters in the summertime..the overheat alarm would not come on in the cooler winter water only in the warm summertime waters,usually about a minute or so after getting on plane. The fix is a factory fix from your dealer (free).It is a resistor plug in, that plugs into the temp sensor wires .This is located in the black plastic box at the left rear of the flywheel area.Simply unplug the matching purple/white wires and plug the resistor wires( male end/female end) inline into the existing purple/white wires.I had to do that to all my dt225's.After installing the resistor the problem goes away.The alarm may come on the first time you use the engine then it will not do this again.

I found this from this page on another forum, thought it would help.

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating...dt225-efi.html
          How does,one acquire the resistor today?
          thanks
          jet

Comment

Working...
          X