starving for fuel 1996 dt115

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starving for fuel 1996 dt115

I have a 1996 DT 115 hp outboard, Engine starts and idles great, When I throttle up the boat takes off and planes out just fine. Then after about a minute the engine starts to lose rpms and revs up and down. If we pump the fuel line primer bulb it picks back up and begins to run ok again. Vent is open, have changed fuel pump,fuel lines and all coonectors,fuel filter,gas tank, tryed high octane fuel. Engine acts like it does not pull enough fuel for higher rpms, bulb does not collapse, 5/16 fuel line about 4 feet long, all connections tight, fuel lines from pump to carb. seem to be good. Is there some one that might have a clue what is up with this? I had the engine rebuilt and a new power pack installed last summer as I had scorred pistons. This is an issue that I have had for years though. I evan installed an inline electric fuel pump at one time and it worked for a while till my power pack went out, Just kept us from having to pump bulb. It does seem to get worse the hotter the weather. Losing my mind in Oklahoma!

I had almost the same issue,,did all you did too and still had the problem..ONLY difference was you could pump the bulb for a while but it would collapse after a bit. Turned out my issue was the anit-siphon value on the tank...had a SMALL amount of trash stuck in it and it jammed that ball bearing in there...$9.50 part and it was fixed!!! Let me know if this fixes your issue???

Comment

Thanks for the feed back. I have changed fuel tanks and get the same issue with all of them. I bought an inline electric fuel pump and replaced my primer bulb with it. Boat runs like a champion now. The pump comes on and of with the ignition. I just hope the constant pressure wont mess up anything else.
      Not a fix for the problem but a jury rig solution.

Comment

All you have done is put a band aid on a gaping wound, find the problem and fix it, covering up a fault is never a long term fix, it will come back and bite you sooner or later.

Comment

Working...
        X