Suzuki 150 speedometer problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suzuki 150 speedometer problem

I have a 1999 150 hp suzuki outboard. My speedometer just stopped working. Can any one tell me the basic proceedure to diagnose this problem? I have done a little research and I am gathering it starts in the lower unit then psi is delivered to the instrument panel. If this is correct or not I sure would appreciate any heads up because my boat is 150 miles from home and I am S.O.L. if I need parts once I'm there. MANY THANKS in advance.

As long as it is just a "normal" speedo, then it is about as simple as you can get, only thing that goes (usually) is the pick up (called a pitot) gets blocked or the hose gets kinked or has a hole in it.

Comment

I see the term "speedo" used alot and I'm not savy. I assume its the speed instrument in the dash. It sounds simple enough. I should check its inlet port 4 blockage. Then check the hose 4 blockage or kinks. Should I check 4 psi coming from the tube at 30 plus mph or is that redundant. Can i damage any thing by blowing back to the motor? Is there any parts in the motor end that could have broken? and if so is the parts only accessable by removing the lower unit?

Comment

not a lot that can get damaged, it is a simple small hole, that water is forced into at speed, causing pressure in a small rubber tube, that moves the needle in the SPEEDOmeter it is either blocked with weed or sand, or some sort of insect has built it's home in it. It is possible the gauge is damaged, but that is pretty rare.

Comment

Thanks again. I really appreciate your input.

Comment

Working...
          X