New Guy with several questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Guy with several questions

Hi all -- I have a few questions about performance and horsepower. I thought some of you might provide some insight.

A little over a year ago I purchased a new DF 2.5S motor. I bought it to use on an inflatable. It turns out that an electric works a lot better on the inflatable for a variety of reasons.

The motor is a great little motor and over all I'm happy with it even though it wasn't a good match for the inflatable.

I picked up a 12 foot jon boat the other day, and I want to use the 2.5. However, that's not much horsepower for a 12 foot boat. I'm thoroughly disgusted by outboard prices, and some of the junk used motors people try to sell for BIG $$$$.

The 2.5 is a 68 CC engine. I know darn good and well a 68 CC engine is capable of putting out more than 2.5 horses. Is it practical to beef this little motor up via the usual methods: more compression, bigger carb, et?

I'm sure it's possible to squeeze a little more power out of it, given enough time and money, but it would be a shame to use your newer nice running motor as a test subject. I would sell it and use that money and the money you would spend on it to buy another, you will need at least a two cylinder 8hp to get that jon up on plane. What will you use the jon for?

Comment

I must agree, it would be easier and cheaper to sell your motor and purchase another.
      Regards
      Boats.net
      Suzuki Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. You pretty much confirmed my own reasoning. I doubt if there is a big market for high performance parts for a 2.5 HP motor

I have the motor up for sale on craig's list, but so far I've only had one call. When I sold my HD Sportster my phone rang off the hook. I was hoping for a much better response to the boat motor ad, but not much action so far.

Comment

Working...
        X