lower unit stuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lower unit stuck

I have a df 115 2003 .I have removed the 7 bolts on my lower unit to change the water pump including the trim tab bolt but it wont come down. Does anyone have any ideas on how to drop it without busting into a hundred pieces?

With the 7 bolts removed it should drop down, if it's been a long time since lower ubit has been removed then the drive shaft splines may be corroded and stuck in crankshaft in which case there is no easy way to get apart. If thats the case then better to take to your dealer for them to remove.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Suzuki Outboard Parts

Comment

I actually have 2 on the boat. I just dropped the other 1 and it slid almost all the way out but I guess the splines wont pull thru the rubber bushing . I pulled the release clip but the bushing wont come out either. Any ideas on that 1. Thanks

Comment

I had the same issue...with one of my DT150's (1998).
        It took some serious force to pull the splined section past the corroded bushing. Once out, I consulted my local suzuki repair shop. He actually told me that he see's that all the time....and had one that he was removing as I was there. He also said that if the customer allows him, he removes and leaves that bushing out.

I have now removed both of mine and have no issues. As the Suzuki mechanic stated...that bushing doesn't do much, if anything.

I actually bought my boat with the understanding that one engine was seized. That issue was the bushing having siezed arund the shaft...not the powerhead. Removed the bushing and she spun right over...perfect compression....only other issue was that the previous owner apparently thought the starter was bad(as engine obviously wouldn't crank). He removed and replaced the starter...and in doing so, pinched an ignition lead from the ECU between the starter and block, grounding out the ingition system....all is well now.

So...what started out being a pretty big gamble turned into a home run for me.

Comment

Working...
        X