87 Suzuki 150hp…frozen up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 87 Suzuki 150hp…frozen up?

After sitting for six months or so, engine froze up but I was able to free it over 2/3 weeks. Before trying to start it, took a set of compression readings. Looking forward from behind the engine, the readings were 90 to 105 lbs except on the bottom holes on each bank, the one on the right was 65 and the left one was 75. After putting a lttle oil in the 65 lb hole it jumped up and held 90.

Cleaned the carbs and have good fuel flow to the carbs, squirting gas and/or starter fluid into the carbs gets it started for a few seconds, then it quits. When I cleaned the carbs forgot to remove the Pilot Screw and Pilot Jet, thus not cleaning them, on the second side of each carb. When I realized this omission allready had the carbs back on the engine and hoped this would not prevent it from starting? Did notice after trying to start it, after pulling those two bottom plugs, that the one from the 65 lb hole showed some moisture on the working end of the plug, the other one showed just a trace of moisture, the top two on either side were dry.

When I put my thumb over each open hole and turn the engine by hand can feel good pressure on the top two on each side and slightly less on the bottom two.

Suggestions please. Should the engine start based on this info?

thanks

An engine needs three essential ingredients, spark, compression and fuel. The compression is low, but should still run (not very well). You have mentioned everything but spark. Be sure you have good spark in all cylinders.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Suzuki Outboard Parts

Comment

Frozen up

The most likely cause for your engine seizing up whould be moisture, water sitting in those pots over time will do the job

Comment

Originally posted by boats.net View Post
        An engine needs three essential ingredients, spark, compression and fuel. The compression is low, but should still run (not very well). You have mentioned everything but spark. Be sure you have good spark in all cylinders.
        I checked spark in one cylinder, it was a ****en flash not a blue one, but I assumed I am getting enough spark otherwise it wouldn't run for a few seconds, as it is doing?

Comment

Originally posted by wjobbb View Post
          I checked spark in one cylinder, it was a ****en flash not a blue one, but I assumed I am getting enough spark otherwise it wouldn't run for a few seconds, as it is doing?
          not ****, should have said it was yellowish, not blue.

Comment

Originally posted by catacom225 View Post
            The most likely cause for your engine seizing up whould be moisture, water sitting in those pots over time will do the job
            Any way to get a look/partial look inside those cylinders by removing some part (like exhaust plate) before pulling the heads? Also, fact that I forgot to clean the Pilot Screw and Pilot Jet on each of the three carb sets (only cleaned one side of each) could be causing the no start? Understand that once the engine runs for a few seconds, then quits, indicates a fuel problem? I've pulled the hoses that go into the carbs and turned the engine over and am getting good delivery.

Comment

Can someone please answer the following?

Any way to get a look/partial look inside those cylinders by removing some part (like exhaust plate) before pulling the heads?

The fact that I forgot to clean the Pilot Screw and Pilot Jet on each of the three carb sets (only cleaned one side of each), when I cleaned the carbs, could be causing the no start?

Understand that once the engine runs for a few seconds on starter fluid/gas spray, then quits, indicates a fuel problem? I've pulled the hoses that go into the carbs and turned the engine over and am getting good fuel delivery?

I checked spark in one cylinder, it is a yellowish color, not blue, but I assume I am getting enough spark otherwise it wouldn't run for a few seconds, as it is doing?

Trying to determine whether I'm wasting my time trying to get this devil to start or whether I should proceed to pull the heads?

thankyou

Comment

Run a compression test to see if cylinders are even.
                Regards
                Boats.net
                Suzuki Outboard Parts

Comment

Originally posted by boats.net View Post
                  Run a compression test to see if cylinders are even.
                  I reported in my first post:
                  "After sitting for six months or so, engine froze up but I was able to free it over 2/3 weeks. Before trying to start it, took a set of compression readings. Looking forward from behind the engine, the readings were 90 to 105 lbs except on the bottom holes on each bank, the one on the right was 65 and the left one was 75. After putting a lttle oil in the 65 lb hole it jumped up and held 90"

After trying numerous times to start it, ran another check on the hole that originally was 65lbs, after it had sat for 6 months and it was still holding 90lbs. Assuming hole that originally was 75lbs is also up around 90.

Comment

Originally posted by wjobbb View Post
                    Can someone please answer the following?

Any way to get a look/partial look inside those cylinders by removing some part (like exhaust plate) before pulling the heads?

The fact that I forgot to clean the Pilot Screw and Pilot Jet on each of the three carb sets (only cleaned one side of each), when I cleaned the carbs, could be causing the no start?

Understand that once the engine runs for a few seconds on starter fluid/gas spray, then quits, indicates a fuel problem? I've pulled the hoses that go into the carbs and turned the engine over and am getting good fuel delivery?

I checked spark in one cylinder, it is a yellowish color, not blue, but I assume I am getting enough spark otherwise it wouldn't run for a few seconds, as it is doing?

Trying to determine whether I'm wasting my time trying to get this devil to start or whether I should proceed to pull the heads?

thankyou
                    Can someone please answer the above questions?

Comment

pilot jets are the fuel supply for startup and idle as well as the first 1/4 throttle (i think it feeds the choke too) so yes not cleaning them could leave you fuel starved but starting fluid or squirting gas into carbs would tell you if its trying to start

Comment

Originally posted by keakar View Post
                        pilot jets are the fuel supply for startup and idle as well as the first 1/4 throttle (i think it feeds the choke too) so yes not cleaning them could leave you fuel starved but starting fluid or squirting gas into carbs would tell you if its trying to start
                        Since it does try to start on starting fluid, assume you are saying I should remove the carbs again to clean those 3 sets of Pilot Jets and Pilot Screws which I missed? Guess there is a chance I can remove them without actually removing the carbs since they are on the sides and appear to be acessible?

Thanks

Comment

Quote:
                          Originally Posted by keakar
                          "pilot jets are the fuel supply for startup and idle as well as the first 1/4 throttle (i think it feeds the choke too) so yes not cleaning them could leave you fuel starved but starting fluid or squirting gas into carbs would tell you if its trying to start"

Since it does try to start on starting fluid, assume you are saying I should remove the carbs again to clean those 3 sets of Pilot Jets and Pilot Screws which I missed? Guess there is a chance I can remove them without actually removing the carbs since they are on the sides and appear to be acessible?

Thanks

Comment

you could but why take a short cut?

my advice is to just go ahead and remove and reclean the carbs from scratch

its never a waste of time to do this as you always can miss something the first time and be sure to use air to blow thru every pin hole everywhere since these are the main fuel supply for engines to idle and run on choke

Comment

Working...
                            X