Outboard engine advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outboard engine advice

We have 2004 Suzuki 140 outboards on a boat that is kept in the water full time in Hawaii. The engines only have 200 hours on them and are well maintained. We recently discovered an exhaust leak in the port side engine. Upon further discovery, (per our mechanic) we found the engine block and the engine holder exhaust ports to be severely corroded. In one place there is a small hole all the way through the cast aluminum part. Would the application of a bottom paint applied 3 years ago right up to the engine and zincs at the base of the motors be the cause of this problem? If not, what other things might cause this?

Answer is no to the paint, it is a fault with the motor as they have galvanic problems using dissimilar metals in areas..there are a lot of pissed off people about this.

link here same problem you are talking about

http://www.marineengine.com/boat-for...d.php?t=376579
    Last edited by mitch; 04-17-2010, 11:54 PM.

Comment

Sounds like a serious problem that Suzuki is dodging. Being that the John/Uki has the same problem I'd call it an engineering uh-oh. I have a 2004 DF200, does anyone know if these engines have the same problem? When I can get back to my boat I'll check for corrosion and post anything found.

Comment

corrsion

I just bought a df150 2010 model.Has this problem been resolved?

Comment

Suzuki problem

I have just been quoted $500 for the engine holder part and almost $1500 for the engine block part that are both corroded beyond repair. That is the cost of the parts for one engine and it is likely we have the same problem with other engine. I am also being told that the block may take 3 months, or more to get from Suzuki, because it is not a stock item. If anyone has a resource for the engine block part for a 2004 Suzuki 140, please share.

Comment

smb did you ask at boats .net eg this site the new ones do not have the plugs that caused this problem for motors that have only done 200 hours thats cruel

7500 it seems like it was all changed in 2006 so should be ok
            Last edited by mitch; 04-18-2010, 08:05 PM.

Comment

If I am reading correctly you said you may have painted the parts of your motor that are submerged? Would it have helped to cock them up out of the ater and perhaps undo one cable to the battery. Yes stuff willcorrode, but it won't eat away without some trickle of electricity. I have a friend that said these use up the anodes, and to stay on top of it.

That's a shame brother.

Comment

Working...
              X