Outboard Flushing Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outboard Flushing Questions

I recently just replaced the water pump impeller, the housing, thermostat, and water bypass valve on our Suzuki DF 140. My dad took the boat out this past weekend, with my brother, and afterwards flushed the motor. I asked if he used the muffs and he said no, just the Water Flush port and he started the motor. He said water was coming coming out of the "pee hole" and also out of the water pickup screen on the lower unit.

1..Could there by any damage to the impeller?
    2..I'd like to use a Y garden hose fitting and run 2 short lengths to ear muffs and the water port while flushing each time. Would that be ok?
    3..Here is a picture of the water bypass valve after replacing with a new one. You can see a small length of a coil spring that resembles what you might see on a Rear Main Seal to reinforce the seal. Which is why it was overheating because they valve wasn't able to open up all the way. Could there be a something else broken in the outboard? Or maybe it just happened to sneak it's way into the water pickup.

Shouldn't run engine while using fresh water flush adapter, it is ok to run engine on muffs or with a hose connected to both flushers.
    It's hard to say where the spring may have come from, need to keep a check on gearcase oil and engine oil for water in oil.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Suzuki Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
    X