Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1980 DT40 cooling problems

Hello,
    I've run into an issue regarding my engine.

I replaced the impeller today, used genuine parts. I only replaced the impeller and gasket as i could not get a new water pump kit in Australia at the time.
    The housing looked to be in good condition.
    Anyway, ran the engine and water only came out of the tell tale hole but not the water discharge, the one on the leg itself. Prior to this it always spurted out water and was always luke warm.

I checked the thermostat and found it to be stuck open.

I need to order a new gasket set and thermostat. If anyone has a good dealer to call that stocks these older parts please let me know and i'll call them to see if they can post to Australia.

If anyone can shed some light on this problem, i may have screwed up or have any ideas on what to check for your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou'
    JM.

well if the thermostat opens the water runs out thru the prop and if it doesnt little to no water comes out the prop so if your thermostat is stuck open then you should have seen water.

sorry but i must ask this question:
    are you sure you bent the impeller in the right direction when installing it? i have seen some people do it backwards.

thermostats are almost indestructable so see if it can be cleaned and oiled to get it working again. most of them are made of all stainless and brass so the only time i ever needed to replace one was when the spring broke. if its just trash or scale on the slider then take your time and clean it up and it should be good as new

the way you describe it sounds like the thermostat has been stuck open for a long time so its likely its something unrelated to the no water coming out discovery
    Last edited by keakar; 12-29-2011, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Thankyou for your reply keakar.

The reason i checked the thermostat was to be sure it hadn't closed up and got stuck. I agree with you totally, that in the open position water should have been flowing out.

I'll try and clean up the 'stat, it's pretty much just gunked up and hopefully save myself some coin.

Will check the impeller.

Comment

yep, those stats run $60-$80 depending so its not a cheap part to just replace for the heck of it

also double check the rubber boot the water tube slips into as well (it might need replacing) and look up into the midsection to follow the tube to be sure it doesnt have holes, cracks, or leaks.

a trick i use for strange water issues is with the lower unit off, clamp a hose pipe to the water tube to bypass the water pump to see how everything flows and where any leaks might be, this eliminates everything except the water pump if you find no problems
        Last edited by keakar; 12-30-2011, 12:58 AM.

Comment

Thanks mate.

Will check the rubber boot too, only thing is they are not available as a seperate item and the complete water tube assemblies are obsolete.

Comment

Hello,

Well, i've recieved all my parts (purchased directly from Boats.Net, great service), ended up buying a new thermostat for piece of mind or just in case and a complete waterpump kit.
            I'll be rady to button it all back up soon but have no idea on the the torque specs for the power head bolts.
            Can anybody assist?

Thanks for all the help.

Comment

Well the donk is fully assembled and running fine.

Comment

great to hear, now all you need is fish in the boat

Comment

Working...
                X