DF 2.5 questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bassman37 View Post
    I realize that this is an old post so I wondered if this problem has been rectified by Suzuki on their newer models.

As I just took delivery on a 2017 model DF2.5, should I be expecting the same issues when I put it in the water up here in the North in a few months?

Thanks in advance,

Kevin
    A lot changed since 2012. (Also, in 2012 - as described in 2012 Supplementary Service Manual).

Different carburetor as of 2014. Download 2014 Supplementary Service Manual 99501-97J30-01E. Note that where it says "for markets other than US" it means - "other than US and Canada". Available for free, same as the main Service Manual of 2006, though many are charging for download. Don't remember where I found it.

Comment

I have been working most of the day on my 2010 DF 2.5. I used it for 4+ seasons until 2016 (bought it slightly used), sold the sailboat and stored the dinghy and so stored the outboard. Got it out today to see how it would run; added oil, a bit of fresh gas and she started right up. Water came out of the "pee hole" for a few moments and then dried up. I took the foot off, inspected the impeller, put it back together, same result, repeated the process at least four times, at one point replacing the impeller with a new spare. Same result. I got good at lining up that water tube.

Turned to the Interwebz for a clue and found this forum. Registered, poked around a bit and found this thread.

JRD opened with a comment about finding the pee hole clogged, and clearing it fixed that issue. So I went back to my motor, unscrewed the pee hole nozzle/fitting, found a collection of some sort of foreign matter and cleared it out, started the motor and she started gushing water out of that hole! So I screwed the little nozzle thing and problem solved!

So, thank you, JRD for the clue! It ended a frustrating 2-3 hours.

And now all I have to do is smooth out the once-smooth idle. She really doesn't want to idle like new and I'm thinking more time running in the garbage can might flush out that fuel system. Maybe a bit of SeaFoam, too. I feel sure I ran her out of gas when I put her away in 2016.

Anyway, thanks, forum, for being here when I needed you.

Comment

There can still be some left over gas after ran het out of gas and the residue clogged the jets partially. see that a lot of times. Clean the jets with some proper carb cleaner.
        Regards, Martin
        DF200 2007

Comment

OK - DF2.5 gurus... Keeping this thread alive. I have a 2015 which "I use" as a kicker. Because of that, the "I use" part is very minimal. It has less than 10 hours. I drain the gas every every use (from the carb) but in the past year, I've had nothng but issues. It was hard to start and idle, but a thorough cleaning of jets got that problem fixed (the pilot jet - of course the hardest to get to, seems to easily get clogged). This outboard seems to "cycle" under load (runs up in RPM, then nearly dies, then runs up in RPM, etc). I have a video here. During most of the time, I have the throttle locked in one place. At the very end it goes to idle (which is perfect). I thought perhaps I switched the two pilot air jets, but it runs the same even if I swap them. All the jets appear to be free from obstruction.... I did pop off the seal over the idle mixture screw, but I haven't changed that because the idle is very good... Anyone carb experts here to suggest what to try next????

Comment

I truly hate my Suzuki Df2.5. But during lockdown I had another go at it. It has always been a pig to start as the timing is so far advanced it kicks like a mule.
            i had previously adjusted the valve clearances which were too big on delivery. Now I tried setting the valves at the minimum recommended, if anything a little bit tight. It hasn’t cured the starting issues but has improved them.
            I am still looking for a good condition 3.5 2 stroke to add to my collection. I already have a 30 year old 5hp Yamaha and a 9.8 tohatsu both better engines than to Suzuki.

Comment

Not sure if you've cleaned and inspected all the passages in your carb. There is a main jet, a pilot jet and two pilot air jets. Ethanol fuel is probably the culprit (I live in a metropolitan area but no place has ethanol-free fuel!), but my main and pilot jets get clogged. When they are all clean and clear, my DF2.5 starts on the first pull. Idles like a dream too. I left mine with my brother-in-law and he's going to give it a look (he's pretty good with these things). I didn't start simple as I never thought to check the fuel filter (in the stopcock off the fuel tank)... I bet that's my issue.... The last thing I want is a kicker that doesn't work when it's needed!

Comment

Working...
              X