How to remove stuck steel engine holder plug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to remove stuck steel engine holder plug

I have an '05 DF140. I have spent at least a half hour trying to remove the problematic engine holder plug to see if I could head off the corrosion problems others have experienced. I have not been able to get the plug to budge. I have hammered on it, used a hammer operated impact wrench, heated it with a heat gun and immediately used my electric impact wrench. I have thought about a breaker bar but I believe it would just strip out the hex portion of the plug. Has anyone figured out a way to get this plug out?

it could be fused in place from corrosion and will never unscrew.

in this case if it aint broke dont fix it applies, it may crack or destroy the engine holder by taking the threads with it as it comes out so IMO your better off just leaving it be and hope you never have an issue with it. wait until its actually a problem to force the issue.

if you are going to do this then drill it out the plug with 1/2" drill bit then use jigsaw with fine metal blade cutting it outward in pie slices to just a hair before the threads and work orlightly tap the pieces out when you are done you still will likely need to weld a plate over it if the threads gets damaged which is very very likely.

in a purely better safe then sorry mode, i suggest you keep an eye out for a salvaged motor, say with a blown powerhead, that you can get a replacement engine holder from, then you can recondition it.

you can also forget about removing the plug and just worry about the resulting problem. the corrosion causes a leak so consider getting an aluminum plate welded over the plug to seal it so if and when it does get a whole in it, it doesnt matter as it isnt leaking because the plate keeps it sealed.
    Last edited by keakar; 01-06-2012, 05:10 PM.

Comment

I would drill it out. Start will a small bit and progressively get larger. Eventually it will just fall out. Be careful not to ruin the threads. Once it's out use a bright flashlight and look inside. If you can see corrosion, (the aluminum wall will look like acid has been dripping down the sides, but really it should look smooth) you don't have much time left. The engine holder will need to be replaced.
      -Shawn

Comment

Originally posted by WEDOCQ View Post
        I would drill it out. Start will a small bit and progressively get larger. Eventually it will just fall out. Be careful not to ruin the threads. Once it's out use a bright flashlight and look inside. If you can see corrosion, (the aluminum wall will look like acid has been dripping down the sides, but really it should look smooth) you don't have much time left. The engine holder will need to be replaced.
        -Shawn
        you do realise some of those plugs get around 3/4" - 1" in size dont you? drill bits like that aint cheap or easy to borrow from a friend

Comment

Drilling and then sawing to the threads is not a bad idea. I was hoping to unscrew it and either insulate it using a lot of Teflon tape, or if that did not work, have one made from aluminum. Cutting the old one out would damage the threads, making both approaches impossible, leaving the welding approach. The engine holder will not come out unless absolutely necessary. I had hoped that someone clever had figured out how to get a corroded plug out, because I tried everything I can think of.

Comment

Working...
          X