DF200 prop discoloring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF200 prop discoloring?

2005 DF200s (2500 hours) starboard prop is noticeably discolored a brownish green color. Is it possible that the lower unit fluid is leaking and stained the prop? It won't wash off...I will try to post a picture this weekend...boat is on a lift so can't check the fluid regularly.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

what is the prop made of and where is the discolored area?

my first thought is a bad finish and the color is just tarnished metal

if its just around the hub then i suppose you might have the bushing slipping causing heat discoloration buts that something you should notice is going on and i dont know it it could ever get hot enough to discolor the prop

if it were from the oil it would have oil sheen on the water and it would feel slimmy or filmy to the touch
    Last edited by keakar; 01-12-2012, 11:31 PM.

Comment

They are Suzuki props. This picture was taken right after a half day of fishing so I don't think there's a film of oil on it. Plus it's even across the entire prop.

http://s1057.photobucket.com/albums/t390/UCFreediver/
      Last edited by UCFSeacraft; 01-14-2012, 05:58 PM.

Comment

How do the anodes look on the starboard motor? Picture looks like a light rust. Does it come off with a polishing compound? Stainless steel can get a light coating of rust from galvanic corrosion.
        Mike
        μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

well stainless isnt "stain"less which sounds weird but stainless stains fairly easy so many things can discolor it.

i see there is a difference but its hard to see in the picture if its just off color or rust but you said you tried to clean it so it cant be rust or you would know

my guess would be its just a bad finish that has discolored like that, most likely just a bad batch of steel it was made from

semi chrome polish should help bring the color back, if not then its coming from the metal itself from the inside out
          Last edited by keakar; 01-15-2012, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by keakar View Post
            well stainless isnt "stain"less which sounds weird but stainless stains fairly easy so many things can discolor it.

i see there is a difference but its hard to see in the picture if its just off color or rust but you said you tried to clean it so it cant be rust or you would know

my guess would be its just a bad finish that has discolored like that, most likely just a bad batch of steel it was made from

semi chrome polish should help bring the color back, if not then its coming from the metal itself from the inside out
            Actually, he only said, "it won't wash off." Rust won't merely wash off, which is why I asked if he tried a polishing compound. A very light rust coat will look like a stain, especially on polished SS.
            Mike
            μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Working...
            X