DT55 lower unit gears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DT55 lower unit gears

I have a DT55 #'s 05501 501364 The forward gear is slipping. I replaced the clutch dog and spring but it still slips. A new set of gears run around $380 ( you have to buy the set). I have found a deal on a used set from a SUZUKI DT60 #'s 06001 404710. Does any one know if they will fit? I'm having a hard time cross referencing them. Thanks

i never recommend swapping mismatched parts

have you tried finding a complete second hand lower unit? even if the housing isnt pretty you can swap out the guts.

Comment

I have found a couple of used lower units. but the cost is not much cheaper than the new set of gears. I've found a good used set from a dt60 on ebay. $120 shipped. I still have a couple of months before I will need the boat. I'm gonna pull the gears one more time and check to make sure I put the clutch dog in correct. Right now if you put it in Foward gear(with motor off) And turn the prop by hand in the forward direction it will slip but if you turn it backwards it will turn the motor. Doesn't make sense to me.

Comment

well i wouldnt go with anything but the lower unit parts for the same size motor if it were me.

the gears will most likely be geared different reguardless if they look like they fit or they actually go into place. i just cant see risking motor damage to save a few dollars.

i think you wouldnt put the wrong transmition on your car so why do it on your outboard motor?

take yours apart and find the broken gear or whatever and buy the correct parts new to fix it is what advice i would tell my friends to do

Comment

Working...
        X