dt50 problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dt50 problem

G'day, have recently bought a boat with a suzuki dt50 outboard, have successfully got the motor going and attempted inspect the water pump, removed the 6 bolts and the bottom section started to come away easily but only by about an inch and can them feel some resistance, didn't want to force it without knowing whether i would damage it or not. Can someone shed some light on my situation? ta.

Did you disconnect the shift rod?
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Suzuki Outboard Parts

Comment

No, could you enlighten an ignorant ocker and please explain, i am only new to outboard motors. How do I do it?

Comment

look on the front part just above the lower unit you will see a connection

its a rod with either a pin and kotter key or what looks like several nuts joined together depending on your model year.

the big nut in the middle joins both halves so use two wrenches to unscrew them untill it seperates, depending on the position of the lower unit you may need to shift it into gear to get a better angle to break things loose but be sure to shift back to neutral before you fully disconnect it.
        Last edited by keakar; 01-18-2012, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Many thanks keakar for your reply but it doesn't look the way you describe it. After checking out the area you suggested I can only see the rod disappear through the centre of what looks like a large nut (approx 1-1 1/4") with a crimped washer locking the nut place, but there is no way you could one spanner to it let alone two as the access is through an aperture appproximately 3/4" by 3''. I put it in gear to move the rod but cannot see any nuts at all on the rod itself? Does this make any sense to you.

Comment

the rod has threads and its in two parts one on the top and one on the lower unit side, the long nut is threaded so it unscrews from one as it screws farther onto the other with a lock nut on each end (at least on mine).

maybe they did away with the lock nuts and just use washers now since it just needs something to keep it from turning by itself.

yes its a tight spot and there is very little room to work but thats how you have to release the shift rod. i dont know what your looking at but the washers must be released and the nut unscrewed. if i recall its 10mm wrench you need

seen here described as the clutch rod but its the shift rod: http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Su...TCH/parts.html

lower unit and shift rod removal info can be seen here if you go down to page 253
            Manual Serviço DF40-50
            its a big service manual so it takes a minute to load
            Last edited by keakar; 01-19-2012, 01:49 AM.

Comment

Thanks keakar, downloaded and checked out the manual and I wish it was that simple. The shift rod on mine doesn't have any turnbuckle or lock nut, and the access to the rod at that point is not as it describes. I am going to take some pictures and try to post them to make it easier to understand.

Comment

You may have an arrangement similar to this:

http://store.brownspoint.com/pdf/DT50_65(80-82).pdf

You should find item 1 under the bottom carb. Loosen the nut, item 5 enough to be able to slide item 1 "in" until it disengages from item 15 (shift rod).

Comment

Just tried the above link, you will need to scroll down to clutch fig 11.

Comment

most shops are friendly enough to let you talk to the mechanic and if he is a nice guy he could probably show you how to disconnect it by looking at a motor there in the shop and describing what you need to do

are you able to see a dimple or hole? it may be a pressed in pin that is what holds it together as shown in the shift rod images

Comment

Thanks keakar but i am about 1.5 hrs from the nearest marine mechanic. I shall attempt to attach some photos of the situation I have been trying to describe to you. I think mphelle8vld (stone the crows you yanks have funny names lol) may have found the answer but that means that the entire rod,once released from behind the carby, must come away with the lower section when removed, does this sound right to you? Any thoughts would be appreciated.033.jpg

038.jpg

Comment

Should look like this...

SUZUKI LOWER UNIT 50HP SPIRIT | eBay

I may change my user name to stone the crows.

Comment

Thanks mphelle8vld, your bloods worth bottlin'.....got a water pump to check out, hope I can return the favour one day. Cheers.

Thanks also to keakar for your input.

Comment

ok, if thats what it looks like then there you have it, based on the picture of the lower unit your model has a one piece shift rod that must be disconnected from the connection under the bottom carb (not always easy to see or reach) so you may need to pull the carb to get access.

here is a tip, the thing comes out easy (once you get the bend thru the hole) but getting it back thru the hole while holding the lower unit is a major PITA and you want to be carefull not to bend the rod.

what i used to do is tie a string onto it so when its removed you have a string in the midsection to pull it back into place with in the housing. i also used a short rubber hose on the bent tip of the rod so i had something stiff there to manipulate it with if its a tight fit.

Comment

Working...
                            X