X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dt200 temp issue

Hi everyone
    Just brought half cab with Suzuki dt200,
    Have run in yard on muffs and had alarm every 5secs .
    Water flow alarm I think, I taped of extra inlet near trim tab & tried again.
    All whent well with no alarm.
    Ran for ten min
    Right bank felt hot to the touch, could only stand for about a second or two however had no temp alarm after running for a good 10 min

im sure that was a temperature alarm

keep a close eye on it, it definately sounds like you ran without enough water and the impeller is damaged from overheating. if so it will likely run ok at lower speeds where you dont need as much cooling then around 3/4 to full throttle start running hot on you

use a second muff for the extra intake by the trim tab

Comment

Alarm went of straight after turning the key, befor it had a chance to even warm up.other outlet is in front of trim tab above the prop, no way to put muffs on it, read on net to tape it of on this model, cheers

Comment

Other inlet, sorry

Comment

ya i know, its under the housing straight above the prop, you cant see it unless you bend over and look straight up above the prop from underneath.

get a second set of muffs and use the cup side (no hose connection) as a cap to seal it off and hold the water in. the other side you may have to remove the cup with the hose connector so it can fit over the "backbone" part of the bottom of the midsection. the metal ones are best because you can bend one side to fit your motor shape, if all you have is the plastic one then you may have to cut it off and rig it to hold somehow but its a lot better then tape and tape doesnt hold well with water, it leaks and doesnt hold water pressure so you cant properly flush it long enough with tape and if you do it allows air bubbles to be sucked in

Comment

Thanks mate, i have plenty of sets lying around so i will try that. Do you know if it is normal for one head to be hot to the touch on one but warm on the other on these? has good flow & temp alarm didnt go of after running for a good 10 min. Dont want to touch thermo if i dont have to as a couple of bolts are a bit "how ya going". I was told on the old 80s johnsons it is normal for one side to be hotter than the other as water flows from one head to the other.
            cheers

Comment

well its pretty common for older motors to have "hot spots" where salt / corrosion (whatever you want to call it) but flakes build up inside the water passages and tend to build up in the corners of the heads blocking water from reaching it causing those spots to overheat but it doesnt restrict the waterflow thru the engine so temp sensors and such dont get triggered.

since the water is bypassing that area the water doesnt get too hot so its hard to tell anythings wrong unless you touch the block. often the areas are the 4 corners of each head water passageway. the two botom corners are the most common spots to get blocked up. the only way to clean it out is to pull the heads but you might be able to clear it ourt by back flushing

see where i talked about how to do it in this thread: http://www.suzukioutboardforum.com/s...heating-2.html

Comment

Did exactly that today, will try her out on the water tomorrow
                Thanks very much for your time
                Cheers,Greg

Comment

Working...
                X