hour meter 140hp outboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hour meter 140hp outboard

hi guys im new here and forums so i apologize for any mistakes that i have done so far.

Im about to get a Heines signature bow rider 530br with the 140hp Suzuki outboard 4 stroke 2004 and something small is bugging me before i make a purchase
    first the boat doesn't have a proper motor hours gauge so i can properly see the hours on the engine

seller claims it has just over 50hours on the engine and apparently the way it shows its on the RPM meter the same needle the shows the rpm works with the hour meter.

obviously when the engine is running the rpm are shown but when the ignition is on before kick start the engine the rpm stays on around 500-600rpm = between 50 to 60 hours and that is how it shown the hours if its on 1000rpm equals 100hours and so on

i have been in few boats but i have never come across this way of showing the engine hours i don't know if is legitimate or lots of bull if anyone can help me it would be much appreciated

cheers tony

a quick call to the nearby dealer will tell you if its BS or legit info

cant say i ever heard of it working that way but i never cared enough to ask questions about it so i am uninformed about it by choice

Comment

Hi Tony,

No need to apologize for the hijack, and hope I didn't jump on you too hard about it. According to my DF150 service manual, for those boats that don't have an hour meter on the tachometer, the indication of the hours is exactly as was described to you. For three seconds, the tach will show the hours with key ON (before starting engine). Below 50 hours, nothing will show, then 500 rpm = 50 hrs, 600 rpm = 60 hrs, etc.

Then, when you get to 500 hours, it's a combination of the rev-limiter lamp flashing and the tach indication. Each flash of the lamp indicates 500 hours. So for 540 hours, the rev-limiter lamp would flash once and the tach would show 400 rpm. For 1040 hours the lamp would flash twice, and the tach would show 400 rpm, etc.

When you first turn the key on, ALL lamps should light and the caution buzzer should sound, then the hours indication takes place. So if you're not showing any flash of the rev light after that first diagnostic check, then the 500 rpm tach indication should show your 50 hours on the motor. And just as a matter of interest, even my tach, which HAS the hour meter built in, shows the same indications when the key is first turned on. The needle jumps to 1300 rpm, and I have about 130 hours on the motor.

Hope that settles your mind (and hope there's no rev-limiter light flashing!)
      Last edited by Harper; 01-22-2012, 06:53 PM.
      Mike
      μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

thanks mike that helps a lot )))

Comment

2004 Suzuki 140 hp hourmeter

Purchased boat, guy bought pakage new in 2007 with 2004 new motor, he had heart attack, never used boat, Checked my tach for hour indication, goes through checks with lights and beeps. then tach jumps to 200rpm stays there for a few seconds and then back to zero, no light flashing after initial checks. From wht I have read 50 hours should be 500 RPM on tach
          any info you have on how many hours I may have

Thanks PJH1957

Comment

The hours indicated are really for the time the tach is in use. The signal does not come from the motor. If the tach and the motor have not always been together you will have to have a dealer check the engine computer for hours on the engine. 200 RPM indicates 20 hours assuming the rev light does not flash.

Comment

Working...
            X