Lower unit oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower unit oil

I have a 1987 DT6 that runs great and I got it for a great price. It's in great shape and I want to keep it that way. I have the service manual for it and have connected the optional rectifier kit so I can charge my battery on board. My only concern is that the service manual is not really clear on draining and replacing the lower unit oil. From what I understand is that I will need to pull the upper screw that has Hule and Oil stanmped on each side of it and them pull the most bottom screw and drain it. Then fill it from the bottom? is that correct?

That's pretty standard for most all outboards. Get a pump that fits on top of the lube bottle, with an adapter that fits your motor (the adapter screws into the drain hole for a good seal) then pump the lube in until it runs out the top hole. Then be sure to plug the top hole first else you'll lose too much out the drain hole during the switch from pump fitting to drain plug. You won't lose much if you have the upper hole already plugged tight.
    Mike
    μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Ok thank you. I changed out the lower unit oil and it came out a light peanut butter color and there was a tiny amount of water once it settled out. Replaced the oil as suggested, tightend everything correctly and then ran the motor in my tank for a while to see if anything was heating up. After ten minutes in forward the casing was still cool to the touch so I think I did it correctly. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
      X