Lower Unit Oil Leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower Unit Oil Leak

I have removed the lower unit and during the process of replacing the impeller, I laid the unit on its side, gear oil started to leak out of the holes, on either sided of the case, these holes are about 3/32nd round and apear to be vent holes, Question is, how and through what passage would alow oil to pass.
    Any help would be greatly appericated
    Thanks Stevep

Modle DT200, 2002

Forgot to mention It's a Dt200,

Comment

no oil should ever be able to leave the lower unit in any situation, the top cover that seals in the lower unit oil for the lower unit is where you install the impellar.

if oil comes out of the water intake holes then it must be comming from the lower unit, possably from a bad sealing o-ring gasket, a crack, or a corrosion hole somewhere.

i have never worked on a lower unit gears so i never had to remove this cover but it shouldnt have come loose on its own so check the lower unit good to see if it may have a crack or corrosion hole in it somewhere near the water passages
      Last edited by keakar; 02-12-2012, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Lower Unit DT200

Tks I'll check it out, I'll have to locate the plate, could it be under the wear plate under the impeller?

Comment

if you look at the lower unit its the top part with the shaft coming out of it.

on my df40 its about 1/2" thick and at first glance doesnt look like its a seperate piece but it is

2010 DF200 Suzuki Marine Outboard GEAR CASE (DF200T,DF225T,DF250T) Diagram and Parts
          Last edited by keakar; 02-12-2012, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Loil Leak Lower Unit

Tks, Mine dosen't have the upper plate, it's a dt200, not a df, Toward the back of the unit, the dt200 gear case shows a gear case plug, i'm cking that out now, although I can't figure out why a gearcase plug would be that far back from the gear location

Comment

most likely a refill plug, it should have one on top of the gears for filling and one at the bottom for draining below the gears.

i cant see much of the setup from the only view i can find for it here:

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Su...ASE/parts.html

but maybe there is a plate under the water pump housing but there is a plate somewhere so you can pull the shaft and main gear out
              Last edited by keakar; 02-12-2012, 06:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X