Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suzuki DT28 Not starting

Hi guys.

Ive got an old model suzuki dt28 outboard, around the 80 model. Was running fine however last week when i was on the water i suddenly got nothing from the engine when turning the key, as a result i had to get towed back to the ramp.

Ive checked the battery leads and they seem to be fine. Where are the fuses located on the engine? Also is there anywhere i can get a new ignition barrel as i opened it up and it didnt look right. Ive got a mercury control box for some reason though.

Any help is appreciated.

You would need to purchase the entire switch, if you have a side mount mercury control box, then you would need the control box model. There should be an inline fuse coming off the starter relay.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Suzuki Outboard Parts

Comment

Ok so there should be a fuse near the starter motor somewhere?

My control box is similar to this.

Thanks for the help
      Attached Files

Comment

Yes, somewhere under the cowling. According to that picture the switch you require is the following.

88107A 5 - KEY SWITCH (SEE KEY CHART) $35.78
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Suzuki Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks mate, took it to the local marine mechanic and he said it was the barrel, not the fuse or anything. Will change it when i can.

Ill take a photo and post it here when i can to make sure its the correct one.

Do you guys ship to Australia?
          Last edited by matti89; 03-01-2012, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Ok finding a 88107a5 switch has been difficult. I have found a similar switch mp41070-2 which has the same colours as my one and has the choke aswell.

Will i be able to use this switch instead of the original mercury one?

The back of my ignition has the following colours:

A - Purple
            C - Yellow/Black
            S - Yellow/Red
            A - Black
            B - Red
            M - Black/Yellow

Comment

As long as the switch will complete all the same functions and fit in the original location.
              Regards
              Boats.net
              Suzuki Outboard Parts

Comment

Hi.

I ordered the sierra part number MP41000. Its a direct replacement for the original part number. Ive looked at the wiring diagram but its not the exact same as the one i have. Does this sound right to you guys? First letters are what is on the new diagram (in brackets the letters on my current switch)

S - Solenoid - Salmon(yel)/Red (s)
                I - Ignition Circuit - 2x Purple (a)
                C - Choke - Yel/Black (c)
                M - Magneto Circuit - 2x Black/Yel (m)
                B - Battery - Red (b)
                M - Earth - 2x Black (m)

Is the magneto black/yel or just black?

Also my current switch seems to have the wires stuck on the switch? Should i do the same or just screw them on with the supplied screws.

Just want to know 100% before i wire it up.

Cheers

Comment

the mag. wire is black with a yellow tracer. As long as the wires go in there original location you can go either way.
                  Regards
                  Boats.net
                  Suzuki Outboard Parts

Comment

Ok so i wired the new switch and im still not getting anything. Im getting 12v at the switch for the battery(red), 12v for accessories(purple) when switch is on, and 12v for the solenoid(salmon(yel)/red) when trying to turn it over.

I called the local mechanic and he said to try and bridge the solenoid/relay assy and see if the motor turns over. I did that and it did. Im talking about figure 10 in the diagram, bridging the started cable with the battery cable.

Im also getting around 11 volts at the relay assy on the battery terminal but nothing on the starter cable.

Does it sound like the relay assy is gone? Is there anything else i can try?

Also can i get this part second hand as ive looked around the it seems like they cost $300, which is way more then im willing to pay.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                    X