Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mid Section Extension

Hello All,
    I'd like to introduce myself as a proud DF150 owner (2007 model yr). I'm wondering if I can order a mid section extension kit for this engine. It's currently a 20" engine on a 20" transom and has run so flawlessly that I'd like to take it over to my new boat, which will be a 25" transom.

I'm only just commencing my search for the new boat so would need to know if this kit readily available? as it will effect searching for boat-only versus a boat/motor combo.

Thanks,
    G

in my honest opinion you would be better off just buying a broken long shaft motor in need of a power head and swap your power head out to restore it to working order. your lower unit can be spare parts or even used if you tear it down and swap out to the longer drive shaft.

its the same amount of work but should be a much cheaper way to go about getting there.

Comment

Mid

Thanks keakar,

I should maybe re phrase my question. I know for the old Mercs you could put a "top end" (power head and cowlings) on to a mid section that is 25" and reuse your lower unit to attain the 25" motor. I'm wondering if Suzuki sells the 25" midsection separate so I could do same. Or if anyone has done this? I think the trim/tilt gets reused too, but could be wrong....

GT

Comment

They sell the parts, and you can get them on this website. But you're lookin' at around $1300 to start just for the midsection and longer driveshaft, and I imagine that there will be other parts involved in the change. I believe the midsection is referred to as a driveshaft housing by Suzuki. Here's your link for parts 2007 DF150TX Suzuki Outboard Parts
        Last edited by Harper; 03-15-2012, 10:17 PM.
        Mike
        μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

everything can be reused except the shift linkage, drive shaft housing, water tube, and drive shaft but buying a new shift linkage, drive shaft housing, water tube, and drive shaft is out of the question for most peoples budgets.

a semi new longshaft motor with a blown powerhead that is just out of warranty should be a huge cost savings and be a much better alternative then buying a new drive shaft housing.

commercial fisherman go through motors quickly and there is a good chance to find the midsection you need in pretty good condition if you ask around and it might come with a working lower unit ready to go.

its just me but in your position i would sell the short shaft motor in working order as it is with the old boat or even by itself and just buy a brand new long shaft motor of the same brand. i have a feeling before its all said and done you will end up spending about the same money as if you had done that anyway. why not see what the dealer will offer you on your old motor as a trade in
          Last edited by keakar; 03-16-2012, 04:56 PM.

Comment

df 150 to df175

I have a 2008 df175 25" shaft I need a 20"shaft motor maybe we can work something out
            contact me at groucheaux123@yahoo.com

Comment

drill222

I have a 20 " DF175 and need a 25 " the motor housing and the pan are the same, the differance is in the transom, the water tube, drive shaft, shift shaft, drive shaft housing 5 " longer, and the swivel shaft. Easy to change if you know how. I have everything to make a swap except the drive shaft, mine is bad. In MS.
              Thanks, drill222

Comment

df175 25" shaft

please contact me at groucheaux123@yahoo.com

Comment

DF175 midsection

Groucheaux, I am willing to trade. I bought a motor on line that was sold as a 25" . It was a 20". The drive shaft spline was bad. The rest is in good condition. My boat requires a 25". I bought a new 25" shaft. It is rather simple to change out the lower section of midsection. All needed is to remove the transmission or foot and slide drive shaft out of engine. The drive shaft is connected to the foot and will slide out. Then remove bolts in transmission housing and disconnect all wires and rubber tubing from engine to foot. Leave wires and tubing on foot disconnect connectors at engine. Then remove two nuts holding steering arm from top or engine adaptor housing. This will remove steering arm,transon and mounting brackets and D.S. housing in one piece. Watch for water tube in d.S housing it has to exchange. Also trade side covers as the 25 is 5" longer. Should be able to find a 20" drive shaft for abt. 200.00. Where are you located?
                  THANKS, drill222

Comment

Groucheaux, I am willing to trade. I bought a motor on line that was sold as a 25" . It was a 20". The drive shaft spline was bad. The rest is in good condition. My boat requires a 25". I bought a new 25" shaft. It is rather simple to change out the lower section of midsection. All needed is to remove the transmission or foot and slide drive shaft out of engine. The drive shaft is connected to the foot and will slide out. Then remove bolts in transmission housing and disconnect all wires and rubber tubing from engine to foot. Leave wires and tubing on foot disconnect connectors at engine. Then remove two nuts holding steering arm from top or engine adaptor housing. This will remove steering arm,transon and mounting brackets and D.S. housing in one piece. Watch for water tube in d.S housing it has to exchange. Also trade side covers as the 25 is 5" longer. Should be able to find a 20" drive shaft for abt. 200.00. Where are you located?
                    THANKS, drill222
                    601 441 5850

Comment

DF175 midsection

THANKS, drill222

Comment

trade?

I am in Louisiana just east of Baton Rouge
                        Call Me tonight if you can after 6pm
                        225-938-3293

Comment

Working...
                        X