2001 df115

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 df115

Hi, can you please help me with my 2001 DF115 Suzuki.
    I have to move the shift lever forward and backwards and then back to neutral for the engine to start. Sometimes I have to do this 5 or 6 times before I can get the engine to start. I think that it is the neutral safety switch. If you think that is what it is can you tell me where to find it? Is it something easy to replace? I heard that there might me 2 of these switches.
    Thank you for any help that you can give me.

there should be one in the control box and one under the cover by the flywheel

it might just be dirty and need cleaning since it works like the door switch on your car, its just a spring loaded pin that makes contact only in the neutral position so it doesnt start in gear

Comment

im told only the smaller tiller option style motors come with the neutral switch under the cover by the flywheel or shift linkages so there may NOT be one one the bigger motors and the only one you have may be just the one in the control box

Comment

Most Suzukis will have a neutral switch under the cowl too.

Comment

it just near where the linkages come in under the cowl if the linkages are out of adjustment this will cause your problem

Comment

I took the ccover off of the shifter today and it looks like i cannot get to the neutral safety switch, can you please tell me the best way to get to it?
            thank you

Comment

does the engine turn over and not start ?
              or turn over and not start ?
              if it the starter is not working its the switch in control box .
              if its cranking over and not strating its the one on engine.

Comment

Neutral switch

Under the hood, starboard side, near the throttle and shift linkage, is where the neutral switch is located (Suzuki DF115, 2001). When mine started acting finicky, the research I did told me this is a fairly common problem. After replacing this $30 part, I never had a problem again. BTW, my symptoms were exactly what you are experiencing.
                -Shawn

It's part #1. I do not know why it's being clumped in with the PTT, because it's located on the other side of the engine.

2001 DF115 Suzuki Marine Outboard PTT SWITCH-ENGINE CONTROL UNIT (MODEL:01-03) Diagram and Parts
                Last edited by WEDOCQ; 03-25-2012, 01:53 PM.

Comment

thanks shawn-
                  so you only had to replace the switch on the engine?
                  the one in the control box was OK?
                  chris

Comment

Yup, the one in the engine was the only one I had to replace.

Comment

thank you shawn, that helps me a lot.
                      chris

Comment

Working...
                      X