2002 DF40 Alarm and Rev Limiter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2002 DF40 Alarm and Rev Limiter

I have a 2002 DF40 that has been having issues with an alarm followed by the limp mode rev limiter.

The alarm will sound and limp mode activated while running 1/2 to wide open throttle (usually cruise at 3/4). Seems to do it randomly. Some days it wont happen at all. I have had it in to a mechanic who could not get the alarm to go off when he had it on the water. But he said he ran it for a good 30 minutes and checked the temperatures and oil pressure. He also checked the compression. Everything checked out great, but obviously the issue was not solved. He told me to listen for the alarm code next time it did it and it would tell him more.

Last fall I changed the oil, oil filter, impeller, spark plugs, flushed the cooling system, and tested the thermostat. This did not solve or change the alarm issue. Engine starts and runs great until limp mode is activated.

A problem is the engine is a tiller and is hooked up to a standard tach (not multi-function with the oil, temp, and rev lights). The audible alarm that sounds when this occurs does not give any code. It will give a single beep about every 4 seconds until the engine is shut off or after 8 beeps while engine is in idle.

Is there an engine light anywhere on the engine I can look at to find the the code it is relaying for the alarm?

I have never reset the oil change reminder, but have read that wont cause limp mode to kick in, but will run the sequence next time I take out the boat.

I feel it could be a faulty sensor somewhere, but I think the first step is to find what code the engine is sending. Anyone have advice on how to figure this out? Thanks for your time.

If the engine is going into limp mode, there must be some codes stored in the ECM, does your mechanic have the correct software and a laptop?

Comment

The local mechanic did not have the software. I was referred to a shop that does, but it is about 1.5 hours away and I was hoping to have a code before I drove up there.

Since it is intermittent I didn't want to take it in and wait for 2 weeks and then find out they couldn't get the engine to repeat the issue. Im almost positive they will have to take it out on the water to get it to happen (not just run it in a tub).

So just to start with I have a $40 shop fee and a $75 water fee... into it $115 before anything is even fixed.

If there is no engine light somewhere on this outboard, I guess I wont have any other choice.

Comment

They should be able to plug the engine in to the computer and see what is going on as the fail safe mode has been hit, with out putting it in the water

Comment

DF-40 _ Rev Limiter and Alarm

I also own a Suzuki DF40 that is having the same exact problem. Once run for about 30 seconds, the rev limiter kicks in and an alarm sounds. Once I drop it down to low RMP's, it runs smootly, but the alarm continues. Once I shut off the motor with the key and restart, the alarm stops. Any ideas or recommendations? I have had it in four times to an authorized Suzuki repair shop in Mount Vernon, WA (Master Marine) and they have not fixed the issue.

Any ideas/recommendation?

Comment

Working...
          X