Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005 DF250 - Wont Crank

Need some help guys.

Symptoms: Turn key to on, everything lights up correctly, fuel pump engages, etc. Turn to start, and I don't hear anything from the motor.

After 2 or 3 tries, motor throws a check engine code "crank position sensor" but I think this is a symptom not the problem. IE it is doing this because the motor knows thinks it should be spinning and it's not, so the computer assumes the crank sensor is bad as it's not getting any input?

Ofcourse after moving the throttle control and looking around at the wires under the cowling of the motor it fired right up and continued to run perfectly. So it makes it very difficult to trouble shoot. The wires I was looking at would be the Shift Postion Sensor and the Neutral Switch, both in the lower cowling under neath where the throttle cables are rigged.

Can either this shift sensor or the neutral switch go bad and cause this type of deal where it will work perfect sometimes and not work at all other times?

Is there anyway to trouble shoot this to fix the problem for certain instead of throwing parts at it?

I have brand new battery cables and batterys, all have good connections.

Check to see if can hear starter relay click when turn key to start position, if not check neutral safety switch in remote control box
    Last edited by boats.net; 04-07-2012, 02:18 PM.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Suzuki Outboard Parts

Comment

Neutral safety switch on the motor side it was

Comment

Originally posted by boats.net View Post
        Check to see if can hear starter relay click when turn key to start position, if not check neutral safety switch in remote control box

What is the next step if the relay does click? Same problem
        Last edited by Sleestac; 04-30-2012, 12:19 AM.

Comment

might be a flat battery or dirty terminals

Comment

Originally posted by Sleestac View Post
            What is the next step if the relay does click? Same problem
            To clarify...turn key to on position and the alarm or tone sounds. When key is turned to start, the relay does click. Had buddy touch relay to show that was the one clicking. Batteries are full. I just replaced the the tilt trim relays last week as well. Any other suggestions?

Comment

Varify that the starter relay is producing output. Use a volt meter and varify you are getting 12+ volts out from the relay. If you are then sounds like the starter.
              Regards
              Boats.net
              Suzuki Outboard Parts

Comment

if the starter relay is good, try to remove the starter motor from the holder and then connect the terminal "S" and terminal "B" on the solenoid motor with battery positive terminal, and for the battery negative terminal connect to the body of the motor. it is intended to test directly whether the starter motor is working or not. This testing should be done away from gasoline!!!
                If the motor still does not rotate, the next step is to disassemble the starter motor and check the carbon brushes...Good luck

Comment

Working...
                X