DF140 Rectifier / Regulator Overcharging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF140 Rectifier / Regulator Overcharging

I have a 2003 DF140 that has recently started throwing an error code 1-1 Rectifier & Regulator (Over-charging).

It started out somewhat random, and would jump to 16 volts then come back down, but now it is staying at 16 volts and generating the alarm. Sometimes after the engine warms up it will drop to about 15 volts, still a little bit high.

Before ordering a new rectifier, has anyone out there experienced a simular problem, or is this a common problem with Suzuki?

Have battery load tested, check battery cables and connections are clean and tight at battery and on engine.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Suzuki Outboard Parts

Comment

Originally posted by boats.net View Post
      Have battery load tested, check battery cables and connections are clean and tight at battery and on engine.
      I am going to go back and double check, I even bought a new battery.

Also with twin engines I switched the perko over to the other engine to test and still had the same issue, I was thinking if it was the primary battery cables or a weak batter I would think it would be noticeable when I go to start the engine but it turns over as fast as it always has and no lag or slow turn over

I am thinking if it is a grounding or connection issue, it could be one of the two grounds coming from the rectifier / regulator that is not making a good connection so it either is not reading the voltage correctly or unable to bleed off the excess back to ground.

Does anyone know or heard how common a rectifier / regulator failure is? I called around to several major parts outlets and none of them have the rectifier / regulator in stock, so that makes me wonder how common it is for them to fail, as opposed to a more likely issue would be a bad wire / connectivity.

Comment

better late than never.. you need to change the Rectifier & Regulator but before you do that make sure the rectifier ground which are two of them clean and not rusty. I had the same problem for 300hrs with no issue since my battery was always low anyway . it can cook the battery if you run the engine alot and it can burn some electronics due to higher voltage . part is about $300 and anybody with basic skill can change it . make sure to change the gasket as it attaches to exhaust system and hot gases can come in cpu(power pack) area.

Comment

Working...
        X