Buy Suzuki Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got a DT75 that only starts if its on full tilt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got a DT75 that only starts if its on full tilt?

This is my first post and I have got a Black Suzuki DT75. I bought the boat from a dealer who demonstrated it worked in the yard. I put it in the water and it would not start easily or run over a few knots.

Unfortunately, it had not been unused for a year so I had the carbs cleaned out by a mechanic. Again it started well on the trailer.

When I put it in the water on the weekend it now won’t start unless the motor is tilted out of the water. Then its starts first turn and you can lower it into the water and you’re off (up to 4000rpm) Great!

If I stop it again it won’t start until I tilt it up again????

It has new fuel and new fuel filter, the bulb works okay (I can see the fuel going through the new inline fuel filter) and the choke works okay. If was fuel then it wouldn’t run after it’s in the water and started. I’m thinking of checking the fuel pump and carb cleaning myself to see if there is anything obvious there.

I also found that one of the 25A fuses on the motor (near the starter motor) was blown. Any body know whats thats for? maybe the auto choke?

Any ideas or is my motor just allergic to starting in water LOL?

Check to see if the exhaust relief holes on back of mid section are about 6-8 inches above water when starting it.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Suzuki Outboard Parts

Comment

Exhaust releif holes

Thanks for that suggestion - Yep they are.
      Any idea what the 25A fuse (which is blown) is for. I'm guessing auto choke because yesterday the motor was fine but only after I took the cover off and manually operated the choke.

Comment

what is the 25A fuse (which is blown) for

Any idea what the 25A fuse (which is blown) is for. I'm guessing auto choke because yesterday the motor was fine but only after I took the cover off and manually operated the choke.

Comment

I am not 100% certain, however if everything else on the motor is working (ex: starter, ignition, key switch, trim) then there are not much other components to fuse.
          Regards
          Boats.net
          Suzuki Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
          X