DF115 "07" exhaust inspection port

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF115 "07" exhaust inspection port

well the the best i can explain it.... it's the screw bung on the left had side of the motor at the bottom of the cowling, It was leaking a little and i could hear the exhaust chuffing a little so I popped out the bung, to seal it up again I put the hex key in and unscrewed it, it came out easy and when i looked in the hole i could see why the thread had cracked and fallen apart, after many bad words and panic ( i was on a fishing trip as well) I bunged it with epoxy minute mend, It look like the bung had been over tightened at some stage and cracked the housing.... ive got to say the repair was good and the motor went perfect....

anyway.... my question is, how important is this little port, do i need to get it repaired properly or is this sort of fix fine and perminent?

Cheers

Wefaknis

it has to be fixed perminently or you will have issues.

the plugs have a reputation for rusting out or corroding so clean it all up and get it welded to cover the hole and weld up the crack at the same time

Comment

The steel plug causes the aluminum around it to corrode. You want to throw the plug away and weld the hole shut. The hole was intended to allow a oxygen sensor for tune up purposes, but I have never heard of anyone using it and the newer engines have done away with the problematic plug.

Comment

Thanks Guys, i'll clean it up and get it welded...

Cheers

Wefaknis

Comment

Welding plug question

I have a similar problem with a df 140 2003 and want to know if all the electronics on the engine have to be removed before welding? I am talking about the computer and any sensors. Thanks

Comment

i'm a little unsure about that as well.... i'll be asking the welder before he puts the weld on it.... hopefully the job will be done in the next few days...

Wefaknis

Comment

its been welded, $70 all it cost but havent run the motor yet... but all looks good

Comment

I was looking in the last few days. Just need a plug made from Aluminum.....

Found lots of steel ones including the Suzuki stock plug #09248-18010

Found an aluminum replacement on ebay, looks promising:
                Aluminum Suzuki Outboard Plug

Comment

Fired up the motor all looks good, I'm ready to go fishing :-)

Comment

I am curious, did they cut a big chunk out and weld? Or just weld the small hole up? From my experience, both fixes are going to be temporary. A new engine holder is what cures this problem. Do a quick google search, "Suzuki engine holder corrosion" and read all about it.
                    -Shawn

Comment

Working...
                    X