Tachometer Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tachometer Options

I am considering the possibility of adding a tachometer to my DT25C.

The motor is mounted on a NON-console flat boat.

Here is the question, what is available that would work for my application? I'm sure that someone out there has thought about this and researched what is available!

The tachometer needs to be large enough to be seen and it needs to be mounted into a housing where it can be mounted to a flat surface. It can not be a flush mount as there is no console to mount it into. I only have a small box mounted that contains my electrical fuses/switches, 12v accessory plug and my fish finder.

Before someone suggests a Tiny Tach, please don't bother. It just doesn't fit the application. The lead is way too short to mount where it can be seen, it is really too hard to glance at and see, and the cost vs. battery longevity is unsatisfactory.

I know that there are tachs available galore for the application, but nobody really addresses mounting them into a pod or housing. All literature addresses flush mounting into a flat surface only and don't give depth dimensions.

So, for the sake of curiosity, what is out there?

OK, since nobody has any suggestions, let me say the I have found a couple of sources for tachometer cups. However, now I have to find an outboard tachometer that is compatible with my DT25C engine, which is a four (4) pole and small.

I am looking for the smallest diameter that I can find. Most are four inches. However, I need something smaller, due to space limitations. The smallest generic cup that I have found gets me to about 3 3/8 inches. It would be tight but possible for the mounting location.

So, I'm looking for suggestions on an economical gauge. The tach isn't a necessity, but a would like to have situation. I don't want to spend $150 for a top of the line unit. Used would be OK if it was fully functional and the price was reasonable. Unfortunately, most of the used gauges are priced as much as surplus NOS (new old stock) that I find on the web. I'll buy a NOS unit before I'll buy a used one at the same price.

If anyone has a source, link, or contact I'd appreciate you letting me know.

If and when I find one the next question is the best way to hook it up. I don't see a dedicated tach feed in the engine wiring, so I may need some help tracking down the proper signal wire.

Looking forward to any input...

Comment

Faria guages are good economical guages.
      Regards
      Boats.net
      Suzuki Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
      X