Unused ports on dt225 intake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unused ports on dt225 intake

I am in the process of overhauling a 2003 dt225. During the process I ran across a fitting on each intake that was not connected. On previous models (carburetor) these fittings were used for oiling, these are open,remove the injectors and you can shine a light straight thru...what gives????

Can you see these ports with the engine put together..I can look at mine. Try this website...Suzuki Outboard Parts DT 225 (2001-2003) Parts Listings They have nice diagrams..maybe you can see what goes there

Comment

you can not see them on the views that are provided on that website, but they are brass barbed fittings located behind the oil tank right next to each injector.

Comment

Originally posted by rickster View Post
        I am in the process of overhauling a 2003 dt225. During the process I ran across a fitting on each intake that was not connected. On previous models (carburetor) these fittings were used for oiling, these are open,remove the injectors and you can shine a light straight thru...what gives????
        My 98 DT225 is the same way, noticed when I had the oil tank off this spring.
        I just left them alone as that's the way I found them. Had the boat in the water twice so far this year and it ran fine.

Comment

Hi, I had my oil tank off to get to the injectors on my DT225 and saw the brass tubes like you saw. They are not connected to anything but the bottom two have about 4 or 5 inches of tubing attached that just runs up the fuel rail and then is open to atmosphere. I guess this is to keep the openings above any water if the engine gets wet..I still don't know what they do and it seems no one else does either

Comment

Here is something extra...a million years ago when my engine was new I ran the stock 3X20 prop at 5600-5800 rpm. At 15 hours old I melted a hole in a piston. Sent it to the dealer who sold it to me and got it back a week later..repaired. It has been reliable for 8 years except for my misfire issue recently...The only other issue was that from the day I got it back from the shop way back then....I could only make 5100-5200 on that same prop. It ran well except for the loss of wot but I figured that whatever made me burn a piston was what gave me the extra rpm so i didn't question the loss of rpm. What happens if you open 6 small ports in the intake system to atmosphere? I think it would act like a vacum leak and probably do something to the power curve?..Just taking a wild guess

Comment

Yes, this will cause an air leak leaning out the cylinders and causing high idle. You can destroy the engine with this modification.
              Regards
              Boats.net
              Suzuki Outboard Parts

Comment

I am under the asumption that this mod was done by my suzuki mechanic, after the blown piston issue since no one other than him has ever worked the engine. My involvement has only been spark plugs and stuff

Comment

you can see 2 groups of fittings behind the fuel hoses ...the bottom group is out of sight , but it has 2 hoses that run halfway up the fuel rail and just end . they are not capped or plugged in any way. if you look hard you can see the holes to the left where the injector nozzles sit. Should I cap these fittings? Thanks
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by boats.net View Post
                    Yes, this will cause an air leak leaning out the cylinders and causing high idle. You can destroy the engine with this modification.
                    What modification exactly are you talking about?

I've run my motor with those oil? / vaccume? ports open for a season and a half, cause that's the way I bought it.

Could you please answer seaox230c's question as to weather we should be capping these fittings off or not.

Thanks
                    Joe C

Comment

boats.net,

Are you going to be able to tell us why if we continue to run our motors like this, with the ports uncapped, we are going to destroy our engines?

Or were you just making a statement about something you have no mechanical or technical knowledge of?

Comment

I think I would call Suzuki and get an answer....I am going to look today to see what I have....

Comment

The suzuki manuals suck...if they did something to a 150 L engine, but added it to the 225...they explain it under the 150...I found that in later models where they removed the multiple oil tubes...they left the ports open to better atomize the fuel so those ports should be left open...it just takes reading the entire manual to find out how they piecemealed your engine together

Comment

Working...
                          X