Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1985 Suzuki DT-40 no spark

Hello,

I purchased a boat that came with a 1985 Suzuki DT-40 about four years ago. After some minor initial maintenance, the boat ran perfectly and continued to do so until about a week ago. I went out one night for about four hours, returned to the dock and everything was fine. The fishing was great that night, so I decided to come back the next day and spend the whole day on the lake. Upon launching the next day, I attempted start the motor, which was very obviously turning but not firing. I waited about an hour thinking that I may have somehow flooded it. After an hour, it was still not firing at all. I re-trailered the boat and Headed for home.

The rest of the day was spent troubleshooting and I determined that there was absolutely no spark at either plug. I checked all wires, which appeared to be fine and looked for any other obvious problems (there were none). I looked at the kill switch - I actually super-glued on the piece that kills the engine when it becomes detached, as I had bumped it one time and been dead in the water for about three hours - but there didn't appear to be a problem there either.

Anyone have any idea why the spark would quit so suddenly?

Thanks in advance!

Disconnect your killwire from cdi unit.Should be a black and white wire. If it starts replace your killswitch.Superglueing anything on an outboard is not a good idea.

Comment

Thank you for the quick reply! I will disconnect the killwire from the CDI unit to see if that helps. Just to be clear, I superglued the the little rubber plug (that is probably supposed to connect to life jacket or something via a cord - like on a PWC) that connects to the controls and kills the engine if it comes off. I realize that this may be a safety issue but was worried that it would come off and become lost, which would be a problem.

Thanks again!

Comment

Should have mentioned that you won't be able to switch off the engin with killwire disconnected.Just ground killwire to engine block to kill engine.

Comment

It worked! Thanks for your help!

Comment

Working...
          X