torque specs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• torque specs?

replacing head gaskets on a dt150. My repair book says the torque specs for the head cover is 6-8.5 ft/lb and the head is torqued to 54 ft/lbs. Now common sense says torque to 54, but the book calls it a head cover. Am I reading this wrong, misprint, ....Help. wanting to get this done tonight b4 the expected rain gets here in the morning!!!

The big headbolts get torqued to the 54 footlbs, and the smaller bolts get torqued to the 6-8 footlbs. see this link...Suzuki Outboard Parts DT 225 (2001-2003) Fig. 2 - Cylinder Head. Verify the conversion from metric before you do it

Comment

bolt torq

just to clarify a bit, the big bolts are what actually hold the head to the block and contain the compression, the little ones retain the outer water jacket that is part of the cooling system.

trying to tighten the little ones to 50+ will snap them off!

Comment

What is the correct torque spec?

We have a manual that calls for 6-8 ft lbs. (By the way FITZ937, is this seloc or suzuki manual?)

However, we also have a super moderator that calls for 20-23 ft lbs in the link below.
        http://www.suzukioutboardforum.com/s...lt-torque.html

I have a 1999 dt 150 that needs a head gasket put back on without bolts breaking. 6 lbs and 23 lbs is a big difference. So which one is correct?

Fitz937, if you read this what was the final torque for your bolts and has it worked?

Comment

I have rechecked my Suzuki manual...it shows 20-23 ft-lbs for the main 8mm headbolts and 6-8 ft-lbs for the smaller 6mm coverplate bolts...sorry for the earlier 54..not sure where that came from. I can send you the sequence but I have to get home thisafternoon to scan in the picture

Comment

The 54 is probably for the hex head bolts that connect the cylinder block into the powerhead. The 20-23 is for the 8mm headbolts that connect the head cover/water jacket plate to the cylinder block. The 6-8 is for the 6mm t-stat bolts at the top of the cylinder.
            Yes, if you have the sequence from the manual please send it in a message or post it here. I can send you my email if you want to send it that way. Otherwise i will start from the center and work out.

Comment

The 8mm and 6mm are for the bolt dia sizes, not the actual socket that fits on them...I will be home by 5 or 6 pm eastern time and will scan in the manual page...obviously you found a bad head gasket for your 0 compression problem? Good...easy is always better

Comment

These are the main headbolts only-8mm...not the smaller cover bolts
                Attached Files

Comment

Seaox,

I tried to send you a private message but you have dissabled it so maybe you will see this here. I know you have the manual and Im going ask for another favor. Does it give an acceptable range for compression? Im getting 105psi on the starbord 3 cylinders but I still have the head off of the port side (dont know if this makes a difference). This seems low to me but I dont know if anything is wrong for sure. I will test it again once I put the head back on this week and will assume it is ok if all 6 are the same psi. If anyone else knows the answer or suggestions feel free to post your thoughts. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
                  X