Black grease issue = trim problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black grease issue = trim problem?

I have dual 175's on a new boat I recently purchased. After about 10-12 hours, I found a large amount of black grease splattered on the starboard exterior of the transom, like it was spit out, only from the starboard engine. I would say the quantity was about a cup. I talked to my local Suzuki dealer about it, but he said it was probably some factory grease, etc. And I just had the 20 hour service and nothing was found.
    However, since that time the boat handling has not been good. The trim characteristics seem to fluctuate on the gauge as I cruise, for instance if I set them at 25%, the starboard engine might jump down to 19 and back up to 25. The boat become unmanageable at 4500rpms and either purpoises or digs in on the starboard rear making steering very difficult. WOT is impossible, the boat will throw people off with the swaying. It's a catamaran, so there are no trim tabs.

Any correlation between the grease issue and the 2nd? Like I said, it was fine until about the 12th hour or so.

Thanks
    Last edited by CatAdj; 06-01-2012, 07:14 PM.

Check for loose bushings on tilt tube and steering arm, check for loose play in motor mounts.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Suzuki Outboard Parts

Comment

it sounds like a trim cylinder is leaking and now has air in it instead of hydrolic oil

Comment

Originally posted by seaox230c View Post
        it sounds like a trim cylinder is leaking and now has air in it instead of hydrolic oil
        Ill check it, thanks. I had previously ruled it out because hydroulic fluid is normally red? And less jelly like.

Comment

tranny fluid is red but trim fluid is usually syrupy color..when it mixes with water it turns thicker and probably changes color...it may not be your issue but you should check it out

Comment

Working...
          X